kasek

ad blocker

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:56 am

Hey new to raspberry pi and looking for guidance. At my old basement suite the guy in the suite next to me had a pi set up to block ads from youtube/facebook ect. it worked great. I have now moved into a new basement and am wanting to set one up but need to know a few things about how to set it up and what I need.

What kind if pi and other parts do I need to purchase?
Will it work with how my internet it set up? (I have a TP-Link plugged into the wall that runs a line to my router, so im piggy backing i guess off of the internet upstairs)
How do i set it up?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

DougieLawson

Re: ad blocker

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:45 am

Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

default_user8

Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:38 pm

kasek wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:56 am
Hey new to raspberry pi and looking for guidance. At my old basement suite the guy in the suite next to me had a pi set up to block ads from youtube/facebook ect. it worked great. I have now moved into a new basement and am wanting to set one up but need to know a few things about how to set it up and what I need.

What kind if pi and other parts do I need to purchase?
Will it work with how my internet it set up? (I have a TP-Link plugged into the wall that runs a line to my router, so im piggy backing i guess off of the internet upstairs)
How do i set it up?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
I was running mine off my old original 1B, but it will run on pretty much anything, you will need to be able to change your DNS settings in your router for it to work. I have recently switched over to running pihole and pivpn on a 3B which is working out great. I suggest you do your research, but I"m using this whitelist and blacklist. https://github.com/anudeepND I run DDWRT on my router and have it setup as a DHCP forwarder and i'm letting my pihole be my DHCP server. Good luck.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

drgeoff

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:44 pm

default_user8 wrote:
, you will need to be able to change your DNS settings in your router for it to work.
While it is more convenient to change the DNS setting in the router, it is not a requirement. Changing the DNS setting in the computer(s) runing the browsers is equally effective when using PiHole to block ads.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kasek

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:37 pm

thanks for all the replies, so im looking at this pi, shoulw it be enough to run pihole and pivpn?
https://www.amazon.ca/CanaKit-Raspberry ... way&sr=8-4

Also what size sd card do i need? I have a spare 4gb sitting around is that enough?

default_user8

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:46 pm

Yes that setup should be fine, and I'm running pihole, pivpn, and RPi-Monitor on a 4GB card.
These are the stats from RPi-Monitor for my SD card

boot Used: 21.52MB (49.83%) Free: 21.66MB Total: 43.18MB
Used: 1.33GB (36.26%) Free: 2.33GB Total: 3.66GB

default_user8

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:50 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:44 pm
default_user8 wrote:
, you will need to be able to change your DNS settings in your router for it to work.
While it is more convenient to change the DNS setting in the router, it is not a requirement. Changing the DNS setting in the computer(s) runing the browsers is equally effective when using PiHole to block ads.
drgeoff is right, i'm just so used to setting everything up in my router, it's just as easy to do it on your devices.

kasek

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm

awesome thanks ill have to get that ordered then and watch some youtube videos and see if i can figure this out
thanks for all the information

kasek

Sat May 04, 2019 6:22 am

so finally got my pi zero and an 8gb sd card, is it possible to run the pihole and pivpn and also have snes and nes emulator on the pi? and if so can i use a plug and play kit with a 360 controller to play the roms?

LTolledo

Sat May 04, 2019 6:37 am

I suggest you get another RPiZ for your emulation requirements and leave your piHole - piVPN setup running quietly and undisturbed.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

kasek

Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:37 am
I suggest you get another RPiZ for your emulation requirements and leave your piHole - piVPN setup running quietly and undisturbed.
alright ill just skip it then and pu tthe meulators on my pc or something, just figured if i had it and could i would. I just dont wanna spend the cash on another thanks

Return to “Beginners”