RaspbianDK

Power supply

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:29 am

Hello Everyone. Little off question here.
The thing is, that my charger has broken. I found a new one to a fair price https://www.avxperten.dk/rasberry-pi-stroemforsyning/, but its the same as my last one. My question is, if there is any place where i can buy a power supply where the cable is more sturdy. (I have a dog that likes chewing in cables, shoes etc.)
Does anybody have any experience with this or suggestions?

Ernst

Re: Power supply

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:37 am

RaspbianDK wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:29 am
Hello Everyone. Little off question here.
The thing is, that my charger has broken. I found a new one to a fair price https://www.avxperten.dk/rasberry-pi-stroemforsyning/, but its the same as my last one. My question is, if there is any place where i can buy a power supply where the cable is more sturdy. (I have a dog that likes chewing in cables, shoes etc.)
Does anybody have any experience with this or suggestions?
It is highly recommended to use this power supply (only) because it is know to give the least number of problems during normal use.
My recommendation, to help you with your dog problem, is to use https://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/03/17 ... -i-use-it/ applied to the cable as a deterrent.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

stockton

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 am

My suggestion is train the dog before it chews into a real power supply and becomes cooked dog.

Imperf3kt

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:34 am

stockton wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 am
My suggestion is train the dog before it chews into a real power supply and becomes cooked dog.
A "real" power supply (assuming you mean household AC) is not required, even sticking a battery on your tongue might kill you as it's not the voltage, but the current.
https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/ ... rrent.html

I agree that you'll want to train the dog to avoid biting wires as soon as possible.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

stockton

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 am

After reading that article and if I understand it would appear that getting a shock from a LiPo battery could kill but one would have to get the current to flow through the body. Not just a finger shorting positive and negative next to each other.
However standing in a puddle of water and touching positive might not be too good for you.

stockton

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:06 am

Getting back to the dog. Your local petshop should have products you apply to stuff you don't want chewed.

NGC6543

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 am

When our cat was a kitten and teething (I guess), she chewed almost every mains wire in the house. I'm amazed she survived; some of the wires (like the one she found while hiding behind the washing machine) were chewed almost to shreds. I could see the copper shining though the holes!

On topic... I wrapped spiral cable wrap around the wires, and another layer of spiral on top of that. It's tougher than the plastic insulation, which seems to be the texture they like chewing. That seemed to do the trick. Not sure about a big dog though...

stockton

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:19 am

To get an idea of what a dog, big or small, can bite through give it an uncooked beef bone and see how long that lasts.
Armour plating the wires is not the solution but training the dog is.

RaspbianDK

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 am

Thank you very much for the advise. I have trained the dog to not chew in cables, furnitures etc, and she has improved a lot. Thank you anyways!

Return to “Beginners”