aaronpriest

Can't get a virtual keyboard to work at login with the official touchscreen

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:46 pm

I'm new to Raspberry Pi so go easy on me, haha!

First problem:
I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ with the official 7" touchscreen display, which states, "Truly Interactive - the latest software drivers will support a virtual ‘on screen’ keyboard, so there is no need to plug in a keyboard and mouse."

Where is this virtual keyboard with the latest software drivers?

I've read every thread I could find on virtual keyboards, particularly before login for multiple users and passwords. And I just can't get any of them to work. I've updated the software, I've updated the kernel / firmware, I've installed Florence and at-spi2-core, I've edited /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and added the following:

Code: Select all

show-indicators=~language;~a11y;~session;~power                                                                                                                                             
keyboard=florence
And I still have zero keyboard at the login prompt. Tips? Ideas?

Second problem:
I accidently clicked the - button on the Florence keyboard which shrunk it down to the size of a postage stamp. I can't make it larger anymore. I click the + key and it just crashes or closes. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Florence, but there is a config file somewhere that remembers this setting, so that doesn't reset it back to defaults. I've tried several other keyboards, but none were better than Florence anyway, nor did they work at the login prompt either no matter what I tried. How do I reset Florence back to regular size? None of the options in preferences seem to change the size.

Third problem, or more of an observation...
At some point while mucking around with various keyboards, VNC started working before login, meaning I could see the login screen from my desktop and type in the password to log in via VNC. This was after installing and uninstalling a couple keyboards, and when no virtual keyboards were installed at all I was surprised to see VNC working before login. After reinstalling Florence that "feature" disappeared, and even after uninstalling Florence again it won't come back. Perhaps it was a fluke, but it was useful. How do I get it working again?

fbe

Re: Can't get a virtual keyboard to work at login with the official touchscreen

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 pm

aaronpriest wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:46 pm
... I've edited /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and added the following:

show-indicators=~language;~a11y;~session;~power                                                                                                                                             
keyboard=florence
And I still have zero keyboard at the login prompt. Tips? Ideas?

sudo apt remove pi-greeter
This removes the pi-greeter login screen and enables the lightdm-gtk-greeter. There is a menu on the right side of the top bar, where you can activate the virtual keyboard.

aaronpriest

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:07 am

This removes the pi-greeter login screen and enables the lightdm-gtk-greeter. There is a menu on the right side of the top bar, where you can activate the virtual keyboard.
So, that kinda works. I do get an option to activate a virtual keyboard. However Florence immediately closes or crashes after EVERY key press, making typing a password insane. Any suggestions there?

The size of the Florence keyboard is correct before logging in, and still a postage stamp after logging in, confirming my suspicion that there is a setting somewhere in a config file that could be changed. I think I need to ditch Florence because it's a terribly buggy and unstable keyboard. However all the others I tried were even worse or didn't work at all!

My third problem in the first post resolved itself after a couple reboots, no idea how or why.

tesdda

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:31 pm

same issue here lightdm-gtk-greeter appears, but virtual keyboard doesn t work at all.

Is there any way to access the virtual keyboard by the pi-greeter?

fbe

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:56 pm

aaronpriest wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:07 am
However all the others I tried were even worse or didn't work at all!
"onboard" appears to work quite well on the login screen with lightdm-gtk-greeter.

sudo apt install onboard
Then edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

[greeter]
keyboard=onboard
keyboard-position=0 70%;100% 30%
I also needed to setup the (german) keyboard layout in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[Seat:*]
greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout de

Return to “Beginners”