davechess

Under power icon on screen at start up

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:14 am

I am new owner of the PI3B+ and also unsure where to post this question. I bought it as part of a kit from ABOX that is supposed to include a 3A power supply. On start up I get a screen message/lightning icon to suggest insufficient power. The manufacturer posts that this is not uncommon and suggests a way to remove via a link which isn't informative. Should I trust this message, in which case I'll return the unit? Or is it OK and how do I stop the slightly annoying message on start up?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Under power icon on screen at start up

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:22 am

Use a better cable between the power supply and the PI, this one looses too much power.
Use a short and thick one (thick copper wires not thick plastic).

HawaiianPi

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:53 am

If it's not booting and is stuck on the color GPU test screen (with the lightning bolt), it could be old firmware from an out of date NOOBS card.

If it is booting and you are getting a low voltage warning, then your Pi3B+ is receiving less than 4.63V, and the PSU is likely to blame. If the PSU has a separate micro USB cable, you could try a different cable (the ones for charging smart phones or tablets are usually better).

We need more info about the power supply. Got a link or specs? Unfortunately there are some crappy "power supplies" being sold that don't output what they claim. They are usually repurposed phone chargers with poor voltage regulation.

There is an official power supply which works very well. Click the green BUY tag at the top of the page.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Burngate

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:55 pm

ABOX: https://www.aboxtek.com/products/abox-r ... pi-3b-16gb
5V 3A On/Off Switch Power Supply with Micro USB Cable and Noise Filter, specially designed for the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Equipped with 2 premium copper heat sinks with better heat dissipation than aluminum ones and prevent system failure. You do not need to purchase the extra fan for this complete starter kit.
That tells you everything you need to know about that PSU
Buy the official supply, as HawaiianPi suggested.

HawaiianPi

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:19 pm

The power switch on the low voltage side is a red flag (not a good idea).

What else do you have connected to the Pi?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

mrreality13

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:31 pm

i have the same kit w/ a 120 gig ssd as boothttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Q ... UTF8&psc=1 , and no issues here as well as a usb wireless keyboard/mouse combo,plus added a fan,maybe bad pwer supply from abox,there cust service is good
remember ,never approach a computer thinking this will only take a minute
~~pi zero w and a 3b+

Return to “Beginners”