bobbymg

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB drive won't work on Pi 3+

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:09 pm

I just bought a new Seagate 4TB USB3 hard drive, P/N 1K9AYE-571. It won't mount on my Pi3+. ( I don't believe it's a power supply issue, I'm using an external supply.) It gives an error when plugged in. It also won't mount on my old XP PC. Both computers know it's there, but it won't mount. It works fine on my wife's Windows 7 laptop. I have an older 2T WD passport USB3 hard drive that works fine with both computers. Does anyone know why it doesn't work? Are there any 4T USB drives that are known to work?

Bob D.
New to Raspberry

B.Goode

Re: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB drive won't work on Pi 3+

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Does anyone know why it doesn't work?

My hunch is that it is a consequence of -
It gives an error when plugged in.

Perhaps if we knew what the error was there might be a slim chance of advising you how to deal with the error...

k-pi

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Check what file system is on it, you may not have the right program to mount it. ;)

(Maybe re format it to NTFS, to use it with all 3 computers.)

default_user8

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:16 pm

What is the output of lsusb, and fdisk -l when the drive is plugged in, and those types of drives usually have some type of software that trys to run when it's plugged into a computer. As for not working on your old XP machine, Seagate's documentation specifically states that Windows 7 is the minimum required software for this particular drive so that's probably the issue there. This drive should work just fine with your pi with the proper preparation. I would use parted or gparted to delete the drive and start from scratch, recreate the partition table and format to ext4, unless you absolutely need to plug this drive into a windows computer then whatever format you prefer. Although formatting for windows compatibility will require you to install ntfs-3g and the drive will be slower.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

bobbymg

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Thanks for all the advise. "sudo apt install ntfs-3g" did the trick! Now I have 4TB of storage!

Bob D.

Return to “Beginners”