robjharrison

Use bluetooth to pi camera? or time syncing 2 pis

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Looking for anyones experiences of hooking up any version of the pi, to the pi camera using bluetooth. Searching here and the net appears to give nothing, Looking to loose the wire between the two, without wifi (too much bulk, impractical). Although i'm using a longer ribbon cable at the moment, it seems as though only the hdmi convertors might offer a more stable solution (https://www.tindie.com/products/freto/p ... xtension/#).

OR

How i might easily sync the clock of two pis running at the same time(because i have scripts running on both) with the minimal of hassle in a headless outdoor scenario. Although i could bring them in up to once per day and hook them up.

I have just seen this https://github.com/thomashollier/triptych which looks useful, although some of this is new to me, the scenario described is similar. I have video running on one Pi, and sensor data on another. Ideally they need to sync up with the timestamps... doesnt have to be super accurate, 0.5-1.0s would be fine.

The above is probably the same kind of thing as : viewtopic.php?p=968536#p968536 - Run Raspberry Pi as an NTP server.

Hardware:
If it helps: pi3 b, or pi zero W are the models.
Last edited by robjharrison on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

B.Goode

Re: Use bluetooth to pi camera? or syncing 2 pis

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:19 pm

robjharrison wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:12 pm
Looking for anyones experiences of hooking up any version of the pi, to the pi camera using bluetooth. Searching here and the net appears to give nothing, Looking to loose the wire between the two, without wifi.

OR

How i might easily sync the clock of two pis running at the same time(because i have scripts running on both) with the minimal of hassle in a headless outdoor scenario. Although i could bring them in up to once per day and hook them up.

If it helps: pi3 b, or pi zero W are the models.

I'm pretty cast-iron certain that there is no alternative to having a cable between the square camera module itself and the CSI connection on the RPi to which it is to be connected.

For the latter, you could configure one device as a standalone WiFi access point, associate with it from the other RPi, then use the resulting network for time synchronisation.

robjharrison

Re: Use bluetooth to pi camera? or time syncing 2 pis

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks for the response b.goode. For others in thee same boat, i'm going to attempt with the hdmi connection options between camera and pi and see if that is at least a bit more workable in terms of connecting and disconnecting on a regular basis (which is what i need to do if not wireless and doing this with the ribbon is a real pain in the rear).

B.Goode

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:31 pm

robjharrison wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:26 pm
Thanks for the response b.goode. For others in thee same boat, i'm going to attempt with the hdmi connection options between camera and pi and see if that is at least a bit more workable in terms of connecting and disconnecting on a regular basis (which is what i need to do if not wireless and doing this with the ribbon is a real pain in the rear).

The official Raspberry Pi camera module does not have an HDMI output.

The HDMI connector on all models of RPi board to date has been an output, not an input.

robjharrison

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 pm

There a pair of plug modules available that attach into the ribbon port.

Return to “Beginners”