videoeditor08

Using RPi to spoof ISP gateway

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:43 pm

So I have gigabit internet from my isp. And the way its wired to my pc is from the gateway to an unmanaged switch to a punch panel, that feeds the ethernet lines throughout the house, to the wall jack in my office and from there to my pc. When my ISP first activated gigabit internet i was able to get 990mbps down on all speed test sites. And up until the fall of 2018 i could get those speeds consistent. Beginning in the fall of 2018 i could not get above 100mbps. After months of research and trying everything from replacing the switch, to reinstalling lan drivers for my motherboard, to reinstalling windows, and many many more "fixes" I have discovered through other forums that my isp is limiting ethernet switches to 100mbps. If i plug in a laptop direct to the gateway then i get the full gig download but if its plugged in via a switch i get under 100mbps. So my question is: "Can I use a rhaspberry pi to spoof the gateway into thinking its a pc when really its feeding the network switch so that all my ethernet lines in the house can get full gig downloads?"

Thank you for reading and thank you for your response.

pi-anazazi

Re: Using RPi to spoof ISP gateway

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Nope, there is no gigabit ethernet on raspi, so: no chance.buy a decent firewall hardware (2 gigabit ethernet RJ45) and put something like opnsense as OS on the appliance and you have a decent perimeter firewall...
Kind regards

anazazi

Andyroo

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Technically the 3B+ has Gigabit Ethernet (electronically and protocol wise) but it tops out at around 300Mbps

You would be pushed to get any SBC to handle this - maybe the Banana Pi R series can handle the bandwidth you want but it depends how you ISP throttles the line - if it detects multiple browser types being used you will still be stuffed...

Maybe a Micro-ITX board running pfSense or did-WRT could do what you want.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

epoch1970

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:38 pm

I would suggest opnsense and a PCEngines APU series machine. It will switch at wire speed. Many times more expensive than a 3B+ but the performance is not the same at all.
For an APU, avoid models with Realtek phys (if these are still around), choose one with Intel ethernet phys.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

NGC6543

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:53 pm

I'll swallow my jealousy of your gigabit internet...

I've not head of an ISP doing that. At first thought, it sounds to me like you need a basic router (or router OS on an SBC) that does overloaded NAT (usually just called NAT on consumer routers; they all do it). But it might be more complicated, depending on how the ISP determines you are connecting the gateway to a switch, not a single laptop. A major catch is if you have IPv6. There is no overloaded NAT for IPv6.

My guess is that your ISP is detecting how many MAC or IP addresses are connecting to the gateway. A router doing overloaded NAT would appear as the only device on the gateway. But like I say, it might be more complicated.

Need more info - who's your ISP, what is your CPE (Customer Premises Equipment - that's your gateway device), IPv6?

But it doesn't sound like a Raspberry Pi project (even though it can make a router easily enough) given the simple fact that it can't get close to actual gigabit speeds.

Return to “Beginners”