mudoilngears

Multiple temperature and pressure monitor questions.

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Hello,

Firstly let me say that I come here not because I have a Raspberry Pi, but because I have a concept, and need to know if an RPI is the ideal platform for what I need to do.

I have a vehicle that has no electronics, no OBDII functionality even. I want to monitor several temperatures and several pressures. There are of course, analog gauges for each or at least most of these functions. However I neither want, nor have space on my dash, for six or seven 2" round gauges. My idea is to use a single 5inch LCD, and display numeric values from the sensors. Something similar to this:Image

I cannot use the product pictured, because that one reads info from the engine's electronic control module, which mine does not have.

I need to monitor:
Air Pressure 0-20Psi
Oil Pressure 0-60Psi
Coolant Temp 0-125C
Oil Temp 0-125C
Exhaust Gas Temp 0-1500C (this is thermocouple territory)
Possibly one or two other temperatures, but these are the ones I really want. Preferably I would want it to start up automatically straight to this display.

My question is, can I do this with a Raspberry Pi? How complicated is this going to be for someone with limited experience with Linux, and a very small bit of past experience with HTML and CSS (no relation, I'm talking concepts here. I just want to make sure I'm not going to invest in something, and then find out it's not the right platform. I appreciate any input.
Thanks!

Return to “Beginners”