peanutismint

Playing media copied to the SD card

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 pm

I purchased a Raspberry Pi unit for my business in order to play photo slideshows of our events on a large screen. I've installed RaspBMC as an OS and now I want to copy files (pictures and videos) to the SD card to display on the screen, but when I insert my SD card into my Macbook I don't seem to see the RaspBMC file structure, but rather the config/installation files I copied to the card to install the OS.

Is there a way to access the RaspBMC file structure from my Mac via the SD card to transfer files or do I have to FTP into it via network etc? I only ask as I had hoped it would be able to play media from the SD card via a simple drag and drop procedure.... Is there a way to see the file structure of my OS when I insert my SD card into a computer??

redhawk

Re: Playing media copied to the SD card

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:34 am

Your macbook doesn't support ext3 partitions natively therefore it's not possible to access the files stored on the SD card.
I'm not a mac user but I'm sure there is software to provide ext3 support if you look for it, whether it allows write access remains to be seen.

As for transferring files using the PI you can do this with an sftp client something like Cyberduck should work - http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8392/cyberduck
Alternatively you could store your media files to a USB memory stick and play with XBMC or copy the files from USB to SD card via ssh session.

Richard S.

notarat

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:08 am

If you have RaspBMC, you have the File Manager.

If your MAC and Pi are on a network and can see each other, open file manager and navigate to the MAC in the right hand column.

Then, navigate to the location on the Pi where you want to store the photos

Go back to the right column and highlight each photo to be copied by pressing the space bar. (The file name will be displayed in a different color)

Go back to the left column and press the "c" key

It will ask if you are sure you want to copy the photos. Answer yes.

LetHopeItsSnowing

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:13 pm

If you want the simplicity of being able to unplug something from the pi, drag and drop the files over on your mac i would use a usb stick.
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

peanutismint

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Ah thanks guys, yep now that I think about it a memory stick does sound like the best option. Will it auto-mount etc? What about external hard drives? Same?

Return to “Beginners”