Da9L

A noob needs answer to a few questions

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Hey ..

Im an ABSOLUTE noob on the linux subject.. I have only tried it very few times so i hope you will help me as i dont understand much about it :P

I thought that a good way if learning it would be by buying a RPi .. I love the device !

But i want to do a few things with (if possible ofcourse)

1. - Can i somehow get both a XBMC and Raspbian to run on it ? So like XBMC is a program that i launch from the desktop ? Or maybe even dual boot ?
2. - Can you recommend a torrent program ? Maybe one that runs in XBMC ?
3. - XBMC is able to render YouTube videos. However i would love to be able to watch youtube videos like in the browser with playlists and so on (basicly the same layout) can the little fella handle that somehow ?
4. - When i first got Raspbian on the device i was confused about not being able to install any programs with a GUI only through Terminal. So i tried downloading Synaptic through Terminal with the "apt-get install synaptic" command and it did download it, but it doesnt seem to work as good as apt-get .. In other words, is it possible to get a GUI Package Installer that works as good as apt ?
5. - I have managed to get VLC to Raspbian running, but it wont run videos well.. Is there a way to get this to work with full hd movies ? Maybe with another player (any recommendations) ?

Hope thats it .. I might ask more questions but thats it for now !

Thanks !

~D

zbunferth

Re: A noob needs answer to a few questions

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:40 pm

For XMBC and Rasbian dual-boot, the only way I could think of would be to use BerryBoot (search the forum.) I don't belive there is a XMBC application though I could be wrong. As for the other problems I cant help you as I haven't gotten my RasPi yet.

Zach

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:26 pm

You can always "dual boot" simply by having two or more SD-cards, and just plugging in the one you want. :lol:

VLC doesn't use the GPU at the moment, so any video's are decoded with the slow CPU. There are just a few players at the moment that support the GPU.

Da9L

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:17 pm

mahjong i like your dual boot idea :P however im gonna have to look at some more software-like solution :P which players support the GPU ?

ghans

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Only omxplayer (command-line) and of course XBMC do that.
ALL others do not.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Da9L

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:52 am

So i've been trying all night to get this BerryBoot thing to work with XBMC.. It works fine atm with Raspbian Wheezy atm, but since XBMC is not in the list of distros i will have to try and make it my self, which the guide says how to on the buttom.. Problem is i cant get hold on mksquashfs through apt-get and i've been trying to download it and install it manually which doesnt work either.. How am i supposed to get that ?

Max

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Da9L wrote:So i've been trying all night to get this BerryBoot thing to work with XBMC.. It works fine atm with Raspbian Wheezy atm, but since XBMC is not in the list of distros
Try OpenELEC from the list of distros.

XBMC = the media center application. It is not a Linux distribution, just a single program that runs on a Linux distribution. Just like Midori is an application that runs under Raspbian.
OpenELEC = a small Linux distribution that has the XBMC application.

bgirardot

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:46 pm

It really is no joke to just use different SD cards for booting different operating systems to be used for different purposes.

I have one SD card dedicated to OpenElec and it sits next to my tv when my raspberry pi is not playing media for me. When I need to use the RPi as a media player, I just pop the card in. The rest of the time I am putzing around with gpio and sensors on my bench so I use different SD cards there.

Eventually I'll get around to buying another RPi but for now this works well and makes sure that if I screw up my development SD card, my OpenElec card still works great.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Well, I never intended it to be a joke, its an obvious solution when you want the PI to many different things, I don't thing there will ever be a "multiboot" software that is as eary as just swapping the SD-card, especially as there are so many thing you could boot on a PI, not just several Linux distro's but also completely unrelated softwares like RiscOS, and you can swap cards for the PI in the schoolyard like so many football cards. Ill trade this dedicated video game card for your "best of RiscOS programing" card.....

bgirardot

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:31 pm

mahjongg wrote:Well, I never intended it to be a joke, its an obvious solution when you want the PI to many different things, I don't thing there will ever be a "multiboot" software that is as eary as just swapping the SD-card, especially as there are so many thing you could boot on a PI, not just several Linux distro's but also completely unrelated softwares like RiscOS, and you can swap cards for the PI in the schoolyard like so many football cards. Ill trade this dedicated video game card for your "best of RiscOS programing" card.....
No I didn't think you were joking, but he seemed to treat it like it wasn't a serious suggestion, but as you say it is really by far better than any type of software solution.

Da9L

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Dont get me wrong i actually liked the idea about just swapping SDcards.. The reason i used a smiley was because i thought it was pretty dumb of me not to have thought about this my self before ..

And the reason i continued to try multiboot was because i only have one SD card atm and i thought it would be a good opertunity to learn some more about linux :)

gregor3000

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:07 am

Da9L wrote:4. - When i first got Raspbian on the device i was confused about not being able to install any programs with a GUI only through Terminal. So i tried downloading Synaptic through Terminal with the "apt-get install synaptic" command and it did download it, but it doesnt seem to work as good as apt-get .. In other words, is it possible to get a GUI Package Installer that works as good as apt ?
what do you mean by not working as good as apt-get? what is not working well? synaptic is basically a GUI to apt-get. you mark what you want installed and then click apply changes. it will pull all dependencies needed. it's one of the best guis out there. you can also lock packages to certain version preventing updates for it.
ofcourse in linux there are plenty other GUI's available. i am not sur ehow well they would run on RPi, but there is Muon, Ubuntu Software Center, Mint Software manager (or something similar), and a few others.

synaptic, though old, does the job well on lighter distributions.

gelfling6
Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, SOL-3, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:36 pm

One thing I'm finding, is MUON has the ability to write out what is installed, and read back in with the Package Manager, which I'm presently using to rebuild a crashed "Ultimate Edition UBUNTU 3.5" on a laptop. (can't remember what exactly I did, but while doing clean-up with apt-get, it blitzed the entire KDE desktop, and when I tried to repair it, it lost a lot of the functions I had just mastered under Ultimate.. (so, I managed to write out the Installed Packages file, export it off to a 2nd hard drive, (as well as my home folder,) did a fresh install of UE-3.5(x64) on the laptop, read back all of the home directory files, and it's been sitting for the past 15 minutes rebuilding everything.. (Library only has a WiFi link, Oh, I would kill for a hard-wire CAT-5 right now?)

Is synaptic capable of exporting a list of what's already loaded? Would sure make the task of rebuild after installing a new OS image a whole lot easier.
Stephen (gelfling6)

ghans

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 am

A generic solution for debian distro's seems to be looking at
dpkg log files (at least that is what my google-fu yields).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mighty2361

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:43 pm

2. I recommend Transmission bittorrent client. Sudo apt-get install transmission

Return to “Beginners”