Esmax666

firefox VS chromium

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi,

I installed Rasbian light and a would like to stream some videos

Do you know if there is a big difference between Firefox and chromium for the performance ?
IS that possible to add somethink like "adblock" in Firefox ?

fruitoftheloom

Re: firefox VS chromium

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:55 am

Esmax666 wrote:
Hi,

Do you know if there is a big difference between Firefox and chromium for the performance ?

Raspbian Stretch with Desktop has an older version of firefox-esr browser available from the repositories, so no customisations to make it suitable for low powered devices.

The de-facto chromium-browser is compiled by RPF / RPT and adds flash player and uBlock Origin adblocker.

Though if you want an alternative kweb has a lot to offer:

viewtopic.php?t=40860
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Esmax666

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:29 pm

beyonslay wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Firefox is way better
Chromium is great too but I prefer Firefox
And yes you could add ADBLOCK as an extension in Firefox
Thnkas did you try Firefox with adblock on a Raspi ? it was ok ?
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Esmax666 wrote:
Hi,

Raspbian Stretch with Desktop has an older version of firefox-esr browser available from the repositories, so no customisations to make it suitable for low powered devices.
The de-facto chromium-browser is compiled by RPF / RPT and adds flash player and uBlock Origin adblocker.
viewtopic.php?t=40860
I have Raspbian Stretch without Desktop. do you recommand kweb ? the performance is better that hromium-browser with uBlock ?Did test the difference between firefox, chromium-browser and kweb ?

have a nice day :)

fruitoftheloom

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:11 pm

Esmax666 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:29 pm
beyonslay wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Firefox is way better
Chromium is great too but I prefer Firefox
And yes you could add ADBLOCK as an extension in Firefox
Thnkas did you try Firefox with adblock on a Raspi ? it was ok ?
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Esmax666 wrote:
Hi,

viewtopic.php?t=40860
I have Raspbian Stretch without Desktop. do you recommand kweb ? the performance is better that hromium-browser with uBlock ?Did test the difference between firefox, chromium-browser and kweb ?

have a nice day :)

I gave up trying to use chromium-browser, see my signature for what I use if need a desktop environment.....
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

HawaiianPi

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Esmax666 wrote:
Hi,

Raspbian Lite has no GUI, which is needed for either of those browsers.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Esmax666

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Ah ok thanks :)

Currently I need 50% of my RAM do you thinks thats it s possible to a install a GUI. Witch one GUI is light? I guess that iobrocker, NAS, and GUI for firebix is too much?
Thx

Gavinmc42

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:25 am

You could also try Gentoo64, I have found the browsers work better in that OS.
But streaming videos is hard.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Esmax666

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:20 am

You means Video Streaming is not possible with the raspberry 3 B+?

Just one more question,
if i want to install a Browser like Firefox, i have to install a GUI. In this Topic RPD take less memors that the another, after RDP there is LXDE
viewtopic.php?t=133691

Thats means, just to install firefox or another browser I have to install:
1. Xorg Display Server
2. Raspberry Pi Desktop (RPD) or Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment (LXDE)
3. Openbox Window Manager (RPD/LXDE)
4. LightDM Login Manager

but you means that the performance of the Raspi is not enough for streaming a 720p video ?

I need also a GUI for Kodi ?

Thanks

Esmax666

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:06 am

nobody ?

drsparky

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 am

Sorry for the late reply...

I'm using several Pi's to monitor statuses of internal systems, switch on lights, monitor office noise, etc. The browser runs constantly and monitors real-time systems, sanity tests (which runs constantly), etc. I'm using Raspberry Pi 3Bs. Chromium hogs the memory after 3 days or so, maxing out on swap space, cpu utilization and the Pi comes to a screeching halt. I've switched over to Firefox ESR and so far, the performance have been substantially better. Memory usage does not increase over time and it runs stable. YMMV.

bjtheone

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:24 am

It somewhat depends on what you are doing and what model you have.

On a 3B+ I found that if left alone, with Chromium open with a bunch of tabs, it often would have issues after being left over night when running off a SD card with whatever the standard swap was. Running it off a SSD with 1 GB of swap made a huge difference.

On a 4GB 4B, which I use as a desktop computer and leave powered up all the time, I have the generic 100 MB swap and it happily runs for weeks with a browser open, without any issues or slowdowns. Currently sitting with 9 tabs open, 3 of which auto update. When I checked I was using 47 MB of swap and had 446 MB of memory free with chromium, xchat, calibre, librecalc, texteditor, a couple terminals, and a file browser running. No slowdowns, lags or thrashing.

You are correct to run a graphical browser you need a windowing system (likely XOrg), a desktop (Raspbian's default is LXDE), and a window manager.

HawaiianPi

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:48 am

Firefox-ESR in the repositories is quite old, and extensions like uBlock Origin may not work with the old version (last time I tried, it didn't). You can find newer versions in the Debian repos, but that won't be a simple install (dependencies and other issues).

In various web benchmarks, the RPF version of Chromium-browser handily outperformed Firefox-ESR (even after I installed a current version).

I've never tried Kweb (been meaning to).

The Raspberry Pi Desktop has been well optimized and is very lean on resources. Someone here tried several other options, and all used more resources than RPD. You don't need to install all the bits individually, just install raspberrypi-ui-mods.

If you're worried about resources and performance, the answer is simple ... get another Pi! ;)
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

RossDv8

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 am

@Hawaiianpi
I've never tried Kweb (been meaning to).
This is a reply to an old post, but if you still haven't played with kweb, perhaps check out the Manual. It is quite long and detailed, but some of the information is quite interesting there are links to it on this forum). Also, the omxplayerGUI manual is interesting, because kweb can be used to configure quite a lot of omxplayerGUI settings.

kweb can be used as a desktop replacement, in much the same way as StarOffice could on Linux around 1998. Actually by a998, any time I opened StarOffice, it 'bacame' a 'Desktop' interface..

kweb uses very light resources and an old fashioned looking layout. But once you see what can be accomplished from the layout, thinks like a big, obvious button to toggle javascript, similar buttons to zoom in, zoom out, or choose between zoom text only and zoom everything (to name just a few useful things) it is interesting to have.

I believe omxplayer only processes up to 1080p video these days, which is a pity with the Pi 4 doing 4k, but all in all, kweb is nice to have for speedy configurable browser without a lot of rubbish added to it. Especially for the way it works to play YouTube videos . (Explained in the manual)
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

RossDv8

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:16 pm

I'm going to update this post, because I have had the chance to experiment more with the Pi 4, and although I believe the original post was about the Pi 3B+, people with the Pi 4 might be finding this thread.

For a fast, lightweight browser to play video in various ways, kweb is excellent, provided you don't want to try watching 4k. kweb Minimal Kiosk Browser was developed especially for the raspberry Pi in the days when the Pi had very limited RAM and CPU/GPU power, so it has very low overheads and runs fast.

As far as I know, omxplayer (used by kweb) is still limited to 1080p. And realistically, for many of us, the difference between 1080p and 2160p is hard to tell visibly, even on a UHD TV.

However, back to Firefox vs Chromium.
I like Firefox, but Chromium on the Pi, and on all of my other Linux computers, just seems to work more smoothly. But watching videos like YouTube video can be frustrating when waiting for content to stream can be painfully frustrating (Australia's NBN is a good example).

Where kweb shines is that it installs a script called youtube-dl, and sets up a server, which downloads the video content from YouTube or similar sites into a cache, then once the cache is at the right level (I believe this is how it works) it streams it to the screen using omxplayerGUI. That means there is a small delay while kweb is setting this up, then you have beautiful high resolution video up to 1080p.

However Chromium on the Pi 4 uses VLC by default to play back the video. And my experience with that has been sketchy.
Guenter Kriedl, the creator of kweb Minimal Kiosk Browser has provided a simple script that will allow Chromium with VLC to use the youtube-dl server to play video.
The script is pasted into a new 'Bookmark Page' on the Chromium Bookmarks Bar', and Chromium is run using a command that starts the youtube-dl server in the background as well as starting Chromium. Then when you open a YouTube video, you simply pause it, and click the bookmark (Mine is just called PLAY). There is a small delay of a few seconds as youtube-dl begins the extraction of the best quality video it can find on the page, then a VLC window will open and the video will play.

Depending on how the youtube-dl server is configured, the video can open in VLC or omxplayerGUI, but that can be easily switched in the kweb settings (under Switch Server or something).

In theory this can also be done in Firefox, however my Firefox is configured for a particular task and I have not tested it. But on Chromium, the difference using this method compared to just VLC 'in' Chromium, is amazing.

If anyone is interested, leave a reply here and I will try to find the links to where I posted the method to set this up previously.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

someSven

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 pm

I wish this kweb browser would be in the repo, I couldn't find it. Or if there was a current Firefox, the ESR seems to be old. I didn't try it, wanted to check out the forum first. Chromium looses tabs sometimes, at startup or by closing them by accident. Recovery fails sometimes and the "Last Session" file is not readable very well, which is an outrage. Firefox also allows to set Tags to bookmarks, which helps to sort them better. Raspian was preferring Chromium because FF didn't work for some technical detail, I wonder if that problem with FF will be solved by Mozilla one day so we can choose freely.

cspan

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:26 pm

I like how FF can be set to clear history, cookies, and cache (?) upon exit. In Chromium that seems to be a manual process.

Botspot

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 pm

someSven wrote:
Or if there was a current Firefox, the ESR seems to be old.
The repositories have recently been updated with Firefox 68.4, probably due to the conversation had at this topic.
someSven wrote:
Raspian was preferring Chromium because FF didn't work for some technical detail, I wonder if that problem with FF will be solved by Mozilla one day so we can choose freely.
I am not aware of any technical problem that prevented Firefox from installing on Raspbian. I think the reason why Chromium is installed by default is because Chrome is by far the most popular web browser on the planet.
browser share 1.png
browser share 1.png (11.43 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Introducing Pi-Power-Tools: The All-In-1 GUI Tool for Raspbian Images & SD Cards.
Boot in a VM, Flash directly from the Internet, Mount, Edit, Shrink, Expand, Repair, and much more.
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools
PS. Want to download an Img ASAP? PPT's Download mode is 2x as fast as Chromium. :mrgreen:

cspan

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:11 pm

It's true about that marketshare, but as I recall FF didn't run so well on the pre-4B models. In fact, my first Pi, the 3B, was acquired at a time when Epiphany was the default browser in Raspbian, and oh my , that was not a good experience.

I came to infer that web browsing was just something a little on the edge of what the Pi could do. I now think that the blame doesn't lay so much with the Pi as with the devolution of the web into a dynamic realm deeply dependent upon ad-delivering and user-tracking.

Return to “Beginners”