cosminmija

Android/iOS remote control device

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi guys,
I was searching the net and the forums for an answer to my situation but I haven't found any... so here it is:

I just ordered my Rasperry Pi sometime ago and I want to use it as a media center. I also have a WD Elements HDD 2TB (3.5" / external power supply) that will be used as the repository for the media files.
I want to install the Raspbmc client and I want to use my mobile device/tablet as an input device (so no mouse/keyboard).

I was looking for a remote control app either for Android (best option) or for iOS (iPhone 4). I wanted to use a Bluetooth connection, but unfortunately it seems to me that no app has the option to function "out-of-the-box" on BT... you need to install some Java client on the RPi/Raspbmc.

The second option would be to connect it via wireless to my network (I have a Trendnet TEW-624UB USB wireless adapter - hope it's working with this setup) and use the remote devices over my home LAN. However, for me it's not the best option.

Anyway, I was stuck with the 2 options:
- (prefered) to find a BT compatible app and use a BT adapter directly with Rpi or
- to use the not-so elegant method of the wireless LAN.

So, I have some questions:
1. do you know any BT remote compatible app (Android/iOS) that will work with this?
2. is the Trendnet TEW-624UB USB wireless adapter compatible with Rpi/Raspbmc? (I checked this list - http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters - and I haven't found it there)
3. do I need a powered USB hub for the wireless adapter?

That's about it for now! :D

THX for your - incoming - help

joesnose

Re: Android/iOS remote control device

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Hello,

If you plan on using xbmc variants it is easily controlable over lan. There are remote apps available for android and iphone already and they work very well.

As for your wireless adapter I guess yoh will have to try it. Mine worked. Fine plugged directly inti my pi.

Monkeysweat

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 pm

I would like to know as well if bluetooth control would be available as well --- if i bring my Pi outside of the house, it is no longer on the network and my phone will move to 3G,, I would prefer it to link to the Pi via bluetooth and retain my cellular data connection,, if I do any kind of wifi connect, the phone would no longer have any other data connection,,, so bluetooth would be perfect (even if it was to just pause, play, etc) -- would be OK without any kind of streaming..

CALLmeABC

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:52 pm

I would like to bump this post. My goal is to have a portable XBMC using my B+. While their are a great many ways to control XBMC from my Android over Wifi, I am looking for a solution that will allow me to take my Pi to any house plug in to their TV and use my Android to control XBMC. Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Return to “Beginners”