ribbit

Re: Network caller id

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I thought that it was worth joining the community in order to add to it. I live in the UK and have BT telephone line (though because of the way we do things here in the UK, my contract is actually with another provider).

Based on the information I found on Murphy 101 Blog (https://murphy101blog.wordpress.com/201 ... r-blocker/), I went ahead and purchased a Zoom 3095 USB modem from Amazon. I failed to get caller id to work, and based on the info I found in this thread, I then went and bought the Trixes modem, which also failed to work. :(

After much digging, I eventually discovered that both modems have the same chipset (Conexant CX93001), though I understand there may be variations on this. Further messing about and reading of a document entitled AT Commands for CX930xx-2x and CX93040-1x Modems, I found that the modems were both configured by default to be setup for use in the USA. Changing the country code from B5 to B4, sets the modem into UK mode. I tried this on the Zoom modem and magically the caller id started working - at the moment only in minicom - I have yet to get it to work with NCID.

If anyone is interested the commands to read the country code is:

Code: Select all

AT+GCI?
And the command to set it to the UK is:

Code: Select all

AT+GCI=B4
I will give this a try on the Trixes modem as well when I get a chance.

So if you have bought a similar modem and it doesn't work out of the box, then it is worth looking at the country is setup for.

Cheers R.

ribbit

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Another quick update after spending a bit more time footling with NCID...

It appears that the AT+GCI command only needs to be run once to change the country code, and the modem remembers the new country code after being powered off or even being given a factory reset (AT&F).

I had mistakenly put both the country code command and the caller id command into the init string in ncidd.conf. It appears that the country code command cannot have any commands after it, so the caller id command was being ignored. After figuring out that the country code was being remembered, I reverted to letting ncidd use its default init string, and magically it all just started working.

Very pleased to report that after adding my mobile number to the blacklist, I was rewarded with some lovely fax tones - took me right back to computing in the '90s with dial up modems. :mrgreen:

Both modems appear to work exactly the same, but the Trixes one is a good bit cheaper. Happy call blocking.

Cheers R.

taa

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:24 am

NCID version 1.2 was released today and has improved support for "fax hangup" and a new "announce hangup" (plays a recorded message before hangup). More info at https://sourceforge.net/p/ncid/news/201 ... 2-released

Akriss

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:15 pm

NCID version 1.2 was released today and has improved support for "fax hangup" and a new "announce hangup" (plays a recorded message before hangup).
Thank you. The announce is working great!

Great utility program to thwart tele-scum. Thank You.

kets

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Now what would be great is a docker image with ncid ettercap all bundled and configured to work with Vonage

kets

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:29 pm

I never got round to setting it up personally as was partially solved using Vonage extensions app. But would be good to roll it out onto my Synology so I can pause say my Sonos when phone rings

Return to “Beginners”