Toby Branfoot

Power supplies? USB hubs?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi

I have my Pi on order, and a second planned as a Xmas present ... hopefully delivered in the next week or so.

Farnell have problems delivering a power supply it seems - delays ...

I have a couple of power supplies from "old" HTC TyTN I/II phones with "micro-USB" plugs that will deliver 5V/650mA ... but they are the "old" "bigger" plugs ... not the more modern slimmer design ... are these useless for the Pi?

If so - will "any" phone charger or other micro-USB rated at 5V/700mA work - and if so, what are you all using?

Reading up more - a Model B has 2 USB's but these are needed for the keyboard and mouse ... no options for a wireless USB, etc ... without a hub. I gather powered ones are what's needed ... are any better/worse than others with the Pi? (I gather not all SD cards are the same!)

Practical experience (good or bad), recommendations (the same) ... most welcome

Cheers

Toby

notarat

Re: Power supplies? USB hubs?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:22 pm

The vast majority of users use a power supply rated for 5v 1A. That's not to say a 5v 700ma won't work, but having 1A available is better than having only 700ma

If running from a Powered USB Hub, I recommend using one which has power switches for each individual port. This allows you to power off/on the Pi after a shutdown.

freedomotic

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi,
I'm using the charger of TomTom navigator (5V 1A) with a cable usb-microusb.
It works very well!!
Regards
Freedomotic Open IoT Framework
http://freedomotic.com

tech-fruits

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Raspy Juice expansion board allows not only to juice up your RasPi through batteries or solar cells, but also gives you the features of a micro-controller for analog inputs and serial connections.

Read about it here - http://www.tech-fruits.com/archives/4972
www.tech-fruits.com - Spreading Sweet Wisdom

Toby Branfoot

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 pm

5V and 750+mA I understand. Confused over varieties of "mini-/micro-SD" what does the RPi use?

Additional USB - this does need to be powered doesn't it? Recommendations? Or will most/any do? Can the powered USD bank power the RPi too?

Additional though - "the literature" suggests 4GB SD cards ... is this just fine for normal people, or a bare minimum?

Cheers

Toby

MattHawkinsUK

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:17 pm

The "bigger" plugs are mini-USB rather than micro-USB which the Pi uses. You need to be careful when buying products because some people use the wrong terms.

So your old supplies are mini not micro.

I use 700mA Blackberry supplies and they work OK.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

toxibunny

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:50 am

The pi uses normal sized SD cards, like from your camera. The micro SD (size of a fingernail) ones will work, if you use an adaptor. Don't bother with mini SD...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Return to “Beginners”