simoselva
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if a very small speaker, connected to the Pi zero (through pins), always needs an amplifier.

I want to build a small paint that reproduce a voice speech over the press of a button, but I want to keep price as low as possible.

Since I don't need an high volume, do you think that I can avoid the usage of the amplifier?

Regards,
Simone

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20143
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:14 pm

simoselva wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:27 pm
Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if a very small speaker, connected to the Pi zero (through pins), always needs an amplifier.

I want to build a small paint that reproduce a voice speech over the press of a button, but I want to keep price as low as possible.

Since I don't need an high volume, do you think that I can avoid the usage of the amplifier?

Regards,
Simone

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... io-outputs#
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

simoselva
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks, but I already found that guide.

I'll try to clarify, my question is: can I use the Pi zero for audio WITHOUT AN AMPLIFIER? I need a low volume, hearable from a distance of about 1 or 2 meters

drgeoff
Posts: 9598
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:10 pm

simoselva wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:02 pm
Thanks, but I already found that guide.

I'll try to clarify, my question is: can I use the Pi zero for audio WITHOUT AN AMPLIFIER? I need a low volume, hearable from a distance of about 1 or 2 meters
Hearable if you you use a high sensitivity loudspeaker in a quiet environment. The only way to know if it will meet your requirement is to try it yourself.

echmain
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Re: Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Maybe give this little thing a try:

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/speaker-phat

ait
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:24 pm

can I use the Pi zero for audio WITHOUT AN AMPLIFIER?
No
I want to keep price as low as possible.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Arduino-PAM8302 ... rk:14:pf:0

simoselva
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:39 pm

ait wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:24 pm
can I use the Pi zero for audio WITHOUT AN AMPLIFIER?
No
I want to keep price as low as possible.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Arduino-PAM8302 ... rk:14:pf:0
Oh, wonderful, manu thanks

Brandon92
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:29 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:07 pm

simoselva wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:27 pm
I want to build a small paint that reproduce a voice speech over the press of a button, but I want to keep price as low as possible.
A other idea would be to use something like this.

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Audio with Pi zero

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:43 pm

The Pi's GPIOs can each supply about 16mA, and 0v-3v3
So to keep things safe the load on the GPIO would have to be 220Ω or greater (3.3 / 0.016)
And the power output would be about 50mW (3.3 * 0.016)

If your speaker is 220Ω or greater, and 50mW is sufficient, then yes, you don't need an amplifier. Otherwise no.

Return to “Beginners”