po220

case for Rsp3B+ with SSD on usb

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 am

Hello
I use raspberry pi 3B + with 2.5 "SSD and USB to SATA adapters (length 130mm).
Do you know a case or rack that allows you to fix it all together?
I do not lack space but I would like to maintain them safely.

The solution can be 3D printing, I have 3D printer if a good model exists.

thanks in advance

HawaiianPi

Re: case for Rsp3B+ with SSD on usb

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:57 pm

A simple solution I used was one of the 2 layer acrylic cases, with the SSD replacing the top. Start with this (picture is link):

And replace the top with the SSD.
This removed the top and fan, but the fan was loud, and wasn't really needed with such an open case.

I later got some additional spacers and added the top layer with a quieter fan back onto the case (SSD on top of that).

I have another SSD booted Pi 3B+ in a Flirc case with the drive in an enclosure (held in place with some Fun-Tak/Blu-Tack).
Drive in this case is a tiny mSATA form factor SSD (I'd put the Flirc on top of a normal 2.5" enclosure).

There are some ready-made solutions for a Pi and drive inside a case, but those tend to be quite large.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

bctf1

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:12 am

HawaiianPi,
I would be curious to know your benchmark results using a ssd compared to a fast microsd on your 3B+. I have a flirc case with my 3B+ and am curious to know what operating temp ranges you see with yours.

I have a m.2 ssd in a startech usb enclosure that I have not been able to boot with raspbian stretch. I see you are using the Eluteng enclosure. They also make one for m.2 ssd drives that I want to try to see if that combination will boot for me.

HawaiianPi

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 am

I haven't really run a proper benchmark on the Pi, but the SSD performs better than SanDisk Ultra A1 cards. Boot time is longer from USB, but once the system is up and running the SSD is faster. The difference is in IOPS. While the throughput will be limited by the USB 2.0 interface, IOPS is where the SSD excels and makes the OS seem faster and more responsive.

I have had the best results USB booting from an Eluteng USB 3.0 to SATA III adapter cable for 2.5 inch drives. That one has worked with half a dozen SSD models from four different manufacturers, as well as a couple of different hard drives. It was recently replaced by another model, which I'm in the process of testing (with inconsistent results).

The mSATA enclosure has a different controller chip, but it has worked with the two mSATA SSD models I own.

In general, though, for systems I don't need a lot of storage on, I use SanDisk Ultra A1 micro SD cards. They perform well and are very affordable in 32GB size. Once you get up to 128GB, though, the price approaches SSD, and in larger sizes an SSD actually costs less. I also have a couple of the SanDisk Ultra Plus A1 64GB cards, and those have a bit better write performance, but other than that they perform similarly to the Ultra A1.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

bctf1

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:40 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 am
In general, though, for systems I don't need a lot of storage on, I use SanDisk Ultra A1 micro SD cards. They perform well and are very affordable in 32GB size. Once you get up to 128GB, though, the price approaches SSD, and in larger sizes an SSD actually costs less. I also have a couple of the SanDisk Ultra Plus A1 64GB cards, and those have a bit better write performance, but other than that they perform similarly to the Ultra A1.
Thank you HawaiianPi for your reply. So I don't hijack this thread any further, I would appreciate your response to this new post viewtopic.php?f=91&t=228197

Return to “Beginners”