RPCub

Communication between two Pis and Camera

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm working on a group project where we have a remote-controlled car with a Raspberry Pi and camera attached. The car will be controlled using a remote control (so the Raspberry Pis are not involved). The objective is to create a system such that the Raspberry Pi Camera can take pictures and videos and communicate these back to a second Raspberry Pi connected to a monitor in a fixed location.

Ideally this communication would be set up over a network like WiFi. Where should I start with this?

oldjake

Re: Communication between two Pis and Camera

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Will WiFi be available?

That would be my first thought. If so, the second Pi with the monitor is a bit irrelevant as the one on the car could live stream using something like MotionEye or RPi cam web interface (https://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface). Then you can just point any browser on any device at the IP address of the Pi on the car to control the camera.

Alternatively, and I can't work out if this would do the job, would be to set the second Pi - the one with the monitor - up as an access point and DHCP server. You then configure the Pi on the car to use the WiFi on the static Pi and, again, connect the IP address of the Pi on the car with a browser (or your mobile phone if you connect that to your Pi AP) and do what you want with the video.

I'd recommend RPi can over MotionEye as it has buttons for starting video recording, recording a static image, etc, whereas MotionEye relies on you changing a setting each time you want to start the video recording.

Return to “Beginners”