steelo

Raspbian lite not updating

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi everyone, very new to all of this but I've recently acquired a pi zero and installed Raspbian Lite. When I typed in 'sudo apt-get install update' I received an error that the repository was not found. This was a fresh install and I selected the correct location settings. It sounds like it's trying to pull from an invalid repository maybe?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspbian lite not updating

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Could you please give the exact error message and where you've got 'sudo apt-get install update' from? That command would tell apt to install a package named 'update' which doesn't exist. If there is documentation anywhere telling you to do that, it should be corrected.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 pm

steelo wrote:
Hi everyone, very new to all of this but I've recently acquired a pi zero and installed Raspbian Lite. When I typed in 'sudo apt-get install update' I received an error that the repository was not found. This was a fresh install and I selected the correct location settings. It sounds like it's trying to pull from an invalid repository maybe?
What happens if you try these?:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
(or, instead of a "basic" upgrade:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
)
(@ShiftPlusOne has already commented on what 'sudo apt-get install update' would try to do whilst I was typing this. :-) )
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

davidcoton

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Or, try the newest (optimised) versions of the commands (less to type!):

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
or

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

steelo

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 pm
steelo wrote:
What happens if you try these?:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
(or, instead of a "basic" upgrade:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
)
(@ShiftPlusOne has already commented on what 'sudo apt-get install update' would try to do whilst I was typing this. :-) )
Trev.
I apologize, I did not have my morning caffeine before posting my question :D

Yes, I did try sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and it balked at me that it was unable to locate the repository. I wish I had my computer in front of me now to give you the exact error message.

It's strange because I had no issues updating Raspbian Lite on my pi3...

Anyways, thanks for your help!

gkaiseril

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Are connected to the internet?

Not locating the repositories indicates a connectivity issue.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

HawaiianPi

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 pm

steelo wrote:
Hi everyone, very new to all of this but I've recently acquired a pi zero and installed Raspbian Lite.
The Pi Zero has no network interface, so how did you connect it to the Internet?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

gkaiseril

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:07 pm

You will need to add a WiFi dongle or Ethernet Port dongle and then connect to the the internet through a router or connect to another computer that can share an internet connections.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

HawaiianPi

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Unless you actually have a Pi Zero W model (which has built-in WiFi and Bluetooth). In which case we need to know that in order to help you.

steelo

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks for responding...Yes, I checked and it IS a Pi Zero W. I was panicking for a second that it didn't have wifi capabilities =)

I think I (might) have figured it out...at least it sounds good in theory. I read somewhere to load a config file (I think they called it wpasupplicant.conf or something similar) on the sd card which contains your network information.

From what I've gathered, when the pi boots it looks at this configuration file, then connects. I am going to try this once I get home from work if my head isn't pounding by then!

HawaiianPi

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Yes, create a file called wpa_supplicant.conf on the small FAt32 "boot" partition of a Raspbian imaged SD card to connect to your wireless network. The file should contain the following.

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="Your network SSID"
	psk="Your WPA/WPA2 security key"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
  • Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.
  • Use the 2 letter country abbreviation in CAPS (without this you will have no WiFi).
  • Use a pure text editor, not a word processor, to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

If you are running your Pi headless (no keyboard or screen), also add a file named ssh (or ssh.txt) which will turn on SSH at boot time (SSH is disabled by default). The ssh file can be empty, the contents don't matter (its presence tells Raspbian to enable SSH logins).

steelo

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Thanks. I was able to reinstall Raspbian lite last night and during the install, it asked me for my network info. After this was entered, it almost immediately connected and all of the updates installed seamlessly. I am working on creating a lightshowpi project and everything installed without an issue.

Return to “Beginners”