Leeloo

driverless UVC camera ?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:36 pm

I was looking to fit maybe something like a pi zero to the hall of my moms house and looking into what kinds of camera I could find.

everything from $10(china) all the way up to $40 slot into the Pi camera port but this would mean the pi would have to be mounted to the wall, anyone knowing what a pi is know a quick grab and pull would net them an expensive sdcard along with a pi and a wifi password.

on browsing I ran into something interesting usb UVC webcam for under $5 claiming no drivers required, perfect for a few reasons, can keep the pie locked safely away and mount an unimportant inexpensive camera on the wall.

I was just wondering if a "driverless" usb uvc will work with a pi and maybe even if its ok with surveillance software? anyone have experience with?

(I don't actually expect miracles with $5 cam but just wondering about uvc overall)

topguy

Re: driverless UVC camera ?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:30 pm

anyone knowing what a pi is know a quick grab and pull would net them an expensive sdcard along with a pi and a wifi password.
You have high thoughts about your moms guests ;-)

- Yes the Pi has UVC drivers. And should work with any software using V4L2 (Video for Linux v2).
- YMMV ( Your Milage May Vary )

Andyroo

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Disguise it in a plant or book?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Leeloo

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:11 pm

You have high thoughts about your moms guests ;-)
I was thinking more pointing it towards the front door so even parcel stuff gets logged, also get a lot of traffic and someone has come in drunk before fallen over and accidentally broken stuff but its more piece of mind / deterrent than for anything else.
- Yes the Pi has UVC drivers. And should work with any software using V4L2 (Video for Linux v2).
- YMMV ( Your Milage May Vary )
thanks, pretty much what I needed to know! I might grab one of those cameras they are advertised list as 5mp but max res 800x600 so lies also one review claims they are only capable of 1 fps but for a few dollars might get one anyway just for testing, I don't need full motion video anyway

maybe also grab a usb UVC composite card, those things also cost next to nothing and might be fun to play around with.
Disguise it in a plant or book?
this might work too! i think pot more than a book, since books likely to be picked up and might look suspicious with a wire hanging out the back of it

Return to “Beginners”