dekaman

Usuable for a basic media system?

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 pm

I have a pi 3b I recently upgraded to the + so was going to give this one to parents for Christmas present as they do certain trips away and need to check emails, and watch youtube, and maybe watch media files from usb.

I know directly it won't handle much Youtube wise. But would it be good for other things or if I have something installed on top to work as a media player/youtube streamer, I have it in a nespi case at moment with a mini keyboard dongle so they can sit in bed and check emails.

Sure they can do that by phone its just a nice idea I think.

k-pi

Re: Usuable for a basic media system?

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:17 am

Take a look at KODI, a multimedia player that works on RPi. :)

lbdroidman

Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:44 pm

So you're going to guilt your parents into lugging around a bag full of messy wires that won't do anything that their CELL PHONES won't do 100 times better?

k-pi

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:33 am

Perhaps they don't have a mobile phone, & use internet cafes when out & about. :)

Plus, watching movies on a bigger screen would be nicer. ;)

Depends how geeky they like to be. :lol:

B.Goode

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:43 am

Perhaps it would be more practical and useful for your parents to leave it running at home so that when they are away on a trip they can remote into it to check on the status of the heating, security, automated cat feeder, plant irrigation system etc? That's something that can't easily be replicated with a cellphone alone.

BlackKnight_UK

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:14 am

lbdroidman wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:44 pm
So you're going to guilt your parents into lugging around a bag full of messy wires that won't do anything that their CELL PHONES won't do 100 times better?
Probably like my parents, only have cellphones to make phone calls!

Plus, have you seen the price of a cellphone that does all that these days?

k-pi

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:02 pm

.......I've never owned one - although I have several computers. :D

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:14 pm

dekaman wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 pm
I have a pi 3b I recently upgraded to the + so was going to give this one to parents for Christmas present as they do certain trips away and need to check emails, and watch youtube, and maybe watch media files from usb.

I know directly it won't handle much Youtube wise. But would it be good for other things or if I have something installed on top to work as a media player/youtube streamer, I have it in a nespi case at moment with a mini keyboard dongle so they can sit in bed and check emails.

Sure they can do that by phone its just a nice idea I think.

If you run Raspbian Stretch with Desktop OS then kweb can be used for YouTube and various other media content sites:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40860
Adieu

Return to “Beginners”