hwurzburg

RPI Desktop installation

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 pm

I loaded the latest OS image on my RPI 0w and began playing with it for my first time experience with RPI....
I found that I could not minimize an open window that had its drag borders hidden, so after searching some I found that someone had removed the packaged lxpanel desktop and re-installed it....the new desktop did not look like "Pixel" but it always showed the task bar so I could iconfy the misbehaving window (VCN Servers stats page) easily...now I would like to return to the distributions desktop manager...

is there a way to re-install it without a new reimaging of the OS? I am note very experienced with Linus app installation,etc. so would need the exact command lines...
thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: RPI Desktop installation

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:34 pm

hwurzburg wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 pm
I loaded the latest OS image on my RPI 0w and began playing with it for my first time experience with RPI....
I found that I could not minimize an open window that had its drag borders hidden, so after searching some I found that someone had removed the packaged lxpanel desktop and re-installed it....the new desktop did not look like "Pixel" but it always showed the task bar so I could iconfy the misbehaving window (VCN Servers stats page) easily...now I would like to return to the distributions desktop manager...

is there a way to re-install it without a new reimaging of the OS? I am note very experienced with Linus app installation,etc. so would need the exact command lines...
thanks

"PIXEL" desktop was replaced by "Raspberry Pi Desktop" nearly 18 months ago. The following 'should' get whatever version of Raspbian (Jessie or Stretch) up-to-date:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods

Please make a back up prior to updating...
Adieu

Return to “Beginners”