SIPHOR3ON

Can I do that with Raspberry Pi?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi guys,
I'm very interested in the Raspberry Pi to use it as a mediacenter. I want to watch DVDs with an external DVD drive (it's powered). Do I need some licences (wich)? Second thing: Listening to internet radio. Last but not least are youtube/flash videos. Can I watch them properly?
Would be very happy about answers ;)
If you find mistakes you can take them (sorry for my english :D)
Greets

ski522

Re: Can I do that with Raspberry Pi?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:07 pm

I assume you mean that you'll be using an external USB DVD drive? I haven't done this, but I see no reason why you couldn't do this. You'll probably need an mpeg2 license though. Also, you'll need to install libdvdread and then also review the /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/README.css to handle DVD's with DRM.

As for youtube and internet radio streams, those are not a problem either and many apps/ways to do this.

SIPHOR3ON

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks! Is it also possible to connect some TV Card (DVB-S)? Yes, I meant an external USB DVD drive. Original DVDs will have DRM, right? Do you think I will be able to wath them?

ghans

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:41 pm

But flash doesn't work and will not work at an usable level any point in the
future. Make sure the Player that plays back MPEG2 (DVD codec !)
smoothly (only two till date beacuse of the slow old CPU/good powerful GPU in the Pi ) support
libdvdread / libdvdnav and "the other library" in the first place. If that fails try mplayer to "demux"
AND omxplayer to play the DVD.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ghans

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:45 pm

If you want to use a DVB-S USB adaptor , do your reaserch first.
HOW was it made to work , where and when ? Better be safe than sorry.
That said , the only company which was and is pro-active in getting their devices to work is Sundtek.
That is still no guarantee , but look out for them on the forums.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

SIPHOR3ON

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Wow, seems to be harder to get everything to work than I tought. I will do some research, thanks :)

flyinghappy

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 pm

If you have a PC why not just rip the DVD's into a different format and put them on a big external HDD, then you don't need to even change DVD's, you can just select the video you want and go.
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

SIPHOR3ON

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:08 pm

That would be an option but I prefer DVD, if I rent a DVD I don't want to rip it first ;)
Maybe DVB-T would be better for me cause there is a big offer, but have to try out the connection first

Return to “Beginners”