THann

Wireless VNC Connectivity

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:36 am

Curious why RPi must be "wired" to local router for VNC Viewer access. I have a travel router / battery pack but it does not have a wired port. Would be great if RPi and iPad could both connect wirelessly. Looking to understand this limitation technically and why it exists.

itimpi

Re: Wireless VNC Connectivity

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:25 am

VNC works fine over WiFi! That is the way I access my Pi Zeroes.

I suspect that your problem is network related in getting the WiFi established between the client and targeted machines. The network address for the VNC link will be different in such an environment.

HawaiianPi

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:39 am

THann wrote:
Curious why RPi must be "wired" to local router for VNC Viewer access.
What gave you that idea?

Both my RPi 3B+ and Win10 gaming laptop are connected to my router via WiFi, and VNC remote desktop connections work fine.
THann wrote:
I have a travel router / battery pack but it does not have a wired port. Would be great if RPi and iPad could both connect wirelessly. Looking to understand this limitation technically and why it exists.
It does not exist, and you should be able to do what you want.

If it's not working for you, you'll need to give us more details about your procedures and errors encountered so we can help you troubleshoot.

All I do is connect to my router (WiFi) with my Pi and laptop, then run RealVNC Viewer on the laptop and connect to my Pi's IP adress. I do have the IP address of the Pi reserved in my router's DHCP settings, but that isn't required (it just saves me the trouble of looking it up).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

THann

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:46 am

When hovering over the RPi network icon, it suggests the port to be 24. When connecting via SSH (to launch TightVNCserver), port needs to be set to 22 not 24. I was able to VNC connect with both iPad and RPi connected wirelessly this evening. I am pretty sure I resolved the port issue the other night prior to posting. Tonight I had an issue where my iPad was re-connecting to my home network versus the HooToo travel router the RPi was connected to. Paying closer attention, everything is working.

I now have a headless, mobile RPi on a 10k mAh battery and an iPad for the monitor, mouse and keyboard. Both of my daughters put a lot of time in training for gymnastics. While one is waiting on the other at the gym, she can be working on Python programming, GPIO projects, or mining trees to build a house in Minecraft.

Thanks for your replies to this post.

Return to “Beginners”