Kurt_Richards_235

Watching a DVD under Raspian Stretch, how?

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 am

Hello folks,

I recently plugged in my external DVD drive into the raspberry pi 3.
The system detected it, but there is no player for Raspbian Stretch.

How can I play DVDs with Raspbian? please help!

thanks,

KR

topguy

Re: Watching a DVD under Raspian Stretch, how?

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:03 pm

You could try with VLC, you might not get good video playing performance without a special VLC build with hardware decoding support.

LTolledo

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:07 pm

have you tried omxplayer? its a command line version though.

if you installed kodi you might get it to work there.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm

DVD uses the MPEG2 codec, so I believe you'll need to purchase the MPEG2 codec license. And then there's the DRM encryption to deal with, which I believe VLC handles, but I'm not sure about OMX player. And finally, there's the DVD file format, which splits a movie over multiple files, which VLC will also handle, but OMX Player would need to play each file individually.

So the first thing I would try is to compile VLC to support hardware acceleration on the Pi and see if it plays okay. I'm not sure if VLC would need the MPEG2 codec for the Pi or not (it doesn't need anything special on x86 systems).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

mooblie

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:07 pm
if you installed kodi you might get it to work there.
I can confirm this works well. I have (and it is probably required) the MPEG-2 codec installed on my Pi 3B, but then, I installed Kodi as an app. on Raspbian:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kodi
As well as acing as a fine media player from a locally-attached disc or network-accessible server, when a DVD is inserted and Kodi is active, "Disc" automagically appears on Kodi's main menu, allowing you to play the DVD - which works well, using the in-built hardware graphic playback acceleration, I believe.

BTW: it had problems with a USB-powered DVD drive connected directly to the Pi (probably wanted too much power from the Pi's USB ports) but when a powered USB hub was used - it all worked really well! I am sure a self-powered DVD drive would work just as well too.

------

PS: Added later:

(a) I fully expect that DVD playback works fine with any of the Kodi "standalone" installations, on a cutdown OS like LibreElec, OSMC, OpenElec, etc. rather than Raspian. I haven't tried it (yet) myself, but I intend to soon.

(b) I am keen to find out if Blu-Ray disc playback works in the same way, with a self-powered, USB-connected Blu-Ray disc drive. You probably won't even need the MPEG-2 codec for this.

HawaiianPi

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:19 am

mooblie wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 pm
... I am keen to find out if Blu-Ray disc playback works in the same way, with a self-powered, USB-connected Blu-Ray disc drive. You probably won't even need the MPEG-2 codec for this.
Some Blu-Ray media is encoded in MPEG2, but that's mostly early stuff, and later stuff is some variant of MPEG4, or possibly VC-1 (for which there is another license you can purchase). However, Blu-Ray media uses a different and more complex encryption scheme that whatever player you want to use would have to support.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Imperf3kt

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:29 am

As above.
As far as I am aware, there is no Linux compatible software that supports AACS decoding (the encryption used in bluray media)

VLC can play back blurays if modified, but it still cannot decode the AACS file.
User experiencing technical difficulties.

mooblie

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Confirmed, guys. I just tried it in the flesh and Kodi cannot playback BDs (unless they are ripped elsewhere, on another platform first, and provided as "plain" MP4 media files, but that's cheating!)

ghans

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:40 pm

The point of Blu-Ray was to introduce copy-protection which cannot be cracked by just dumping the keys of a Windows player and turning it into Linux software ;) AFAIK 22 AACS keys have been leaked and subsequently revoked. Further keys are even kept secret by those who write Blu-Ray ripping software - the system works ?

VLC will work if you manage to get hold of a key database. Which they do not distribute together with libaacs ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mooblie

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:27 pm

ghans wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:40 pm
The point of Blu-Ray was to introduce copy-protection ................- the system works ?
Not really, in my understanding. I hear that it's easy enough to rip a Blu-ray disc using various methods/platforms. Never done it myself of course. :oops:

Return to “Beginners”