jatomli

Imaging SD Card Changing the Format of my SD Card

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:49 am

Hello,

I have been following the how to guide for setting up my retropi and have ran into an issue when downloading the image onto my SD Card (32gb SanDisk). I formatted my SD from FAT to FAT32 no problem with the SD Converter, but when I try to upload the retropi image to my SD Card (with Win32DiskImager), it changes the format of the card back to FAT, making it not able to boot :(

Have you all ever ran into this issue, or am I missing something really obvious? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

drgeoff

Re: Imaging SD Card Changing the Format of my SD Card

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:51 am

You seem a bit confused.

1. A new 32 Gbyte card will come formatted as FAT32 and usual formatters will format it as FAT32.

2. When putting an OS image on a card the existing format is overwritten. Whatever format the card has is irrelevant.

3. If your retropi card is not booting then you have not written the card correctly or the download file is wrong/corrupt or your RPi is faulty.

k-pi

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:30 am

Also, be aware that there are some images out there that haven't been updated to run on a RPi3B+, (should this happen to be one).

thagrol

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:26 pm

jatomli wrote:
when I try to upload the retropi image to my SD Card (with Win32DiskImager), it changes the format of the card back to FAT, making it not able to boot :(
Have you tried to boot from the SD card? If so what happens and what error, if any do you see?

The retropi image contains all the raw data needed to create a bootable SD card. Win32DiskImager (and other tools) write that data to the target card replacing everything that is on it. This will likely change both the number and format of partitions on the card, for raspbian that'll replace the single FAT32 partition with a FAT partition and an ext4 partition. Not sure what retropi will do as I've never used it.

So, what I suggest you do is write the image to the SD card and try to boot from it. Should the boot fail, contact the retropi developers (do they have a forum?) for help specifically with their image.

Edit: probably could have phrased that better. My intent was to point you in the right direction, not to tell you to go away and ask someone else...
Note to self: don't feed the trolls
If you believe "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people) have you considered that it may be of your own making?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 pm

jatomli wrote:
Hello,

I have been following the how to guide for setting up my retropi and have ran into an issue when downloading the image onto my SD Card (32gb SanDisk). I formatted my SD from FAT to FAT32 no problem with the SD Converter, but when I try to upload the retropi image to my SD Card (with Win32DiskImager), it changes the format of the card back to FAT, making it not able to boot :(

Have you all ever ran into this issue, or am I missing something really obvious? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Download Retropie, it is a zipped gz format:

https://retropie.org.uk/download/#Pre-m ... spberry_Pi

Download Etcher which in one operation unzips, formats and creates a bootable SD Card:

https://etcher.io

FYI Windows will not natively correctly read the created SD Card, that is a Windows foibles !
Adieu

jatomli

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I tried from the beginning again from a blank slate and got it to boot finally!

Thanks for everything!

Return to “Beginners”