sayhello

2,5 vs 3.5 inch hdd - which options do we have

Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:30 am

2,5 vs 3.5 inch hdd - which options do we have

good day dear friends,

well sure i know this is theoretically a bit difficult, but I dare to ask: what are the possible ways to connect an internal 3.5'' SATA HDD to the board (let's say i want to use a 1TB)? Let's ignore the need for additional power.

i want to add a good power supply unit: So that i have enough power. What about the ways and options to connect a HDD.

What is aimed: I want to make a box like a Network Attached Storage - a NAS - that contains the board and the HDD internally, so the trivial "plug to USB connector" is excluded. How can I do this?

first approach: Well - i guess that the only way is to use a sata to usb adaptor or a usb enclosure for the drive.

What do you say - i love to hear from you

sayhello

Re: 2,5 vs 3.5 inch hdd - which options do we have

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:08 pm

well if we want to connect an internal HDD, then i guess that would have to get some sort of USB -> SATA adapter and still connect it through the slow USB2 ports on the Raspberry pi.

Regarding power, i guess that we would need to power the drive by some external means, since USB2 ports probably won’t have the power to power an internal SATA drive.

Well the question is: i can use a good and rock solid power supply unit that supports the running of a (interntal) b3.5 HDD.

any sugggestions for this power supply unit - that i can put into my rack too

k-pi

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:46 pm

HDD/SSD will only work over a USB port on a RPi - & usually need an external power supply, as the USB ports are USB2, supplying too little power for most drives.

sayhello

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:17 pm

many thanks for the reply - sure thing - need a extra psu
i think i will check out here...:

https://www.banggood.com/search/switchi ... html?sbc=1

switching psu

greetings

Brandon92

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:43 pm

sayhello wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:17 pm
many thanks for the reply - sure thing - need a extra psu
i think i will check out here...:

https://www.banggood.com/search/switchi ... html?sbc=1

switching psu

greetings
I think if you want to make a reliable NAS. You better at buying a good one. And they are also not that much more. And most of the time they have some protection build in. And a regulated output voltage. What the cheapest don't have. It will be a shame if they destroy your hard disk.

PhatFil

Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Imho for a single drive nas solution a pi is way too much computer. and far simpler and cheaper solutions exist off the shelf
something like https://www.gearbest.com/wireless-route ... id=1433363 which you can flash with openwrt if you dont like the out of the box firmware.

If looking to add to your proposed pi nas with more disks as you need them then the route i took was to buy a nice multiport usb hub into which i have connected 6 x usb hdd enclosures (4 x usb spare). power for the disks(12v) and the usb hub (5v) is provided by an atx psu, its power is switched by the pi and a tasmota/sonoff basic switch. to stop power back feeding from the usb hub i have cut the 5v rail from the hub usb/out. it was a minor pita connecting 12v plugs to leads and the 12v feds from the atx psu

the pi has its own dedicated psu, so generally the atx psu and disks are not powered up.
when disks are needed, the pi starts the atx psu and boots up the disks before mounting. when done the disks are dismounted and the atx psu is shut down. the plan was to schedule disk startups but i simply kick off the disksOn and disksOff scrips which simply contain the
the power on command followed by 6x mount commands, and off is 6 x umounts followed by the poweroff..

power on and power off are a bit more involved as im using sonoff/tasmota a/c switches controlled by wifi and nodered on the pi, but a gpio triggered relay would work just as well ..

My own quandry is it box or not, currently the disks are all enclosed in their own boxes but the psus/pi /hub and a lot of wires are tucked away on the top shelf under the stairs.. the benefit of boxing vs the hassle ;) hmmmm

Return to “Beginners”