Well it was a child, so we could cut him some slack.
I'm partial to Pecan myself.
When I worked for a Regional Bell Operating Company (aka RBOC), some of the techs we had to do work on PCs were used to working in COs and occasionally would try to do what worked there...hot swap board exchanges in PCs. Can you say "Goodbye, motherboard"? I knew you could. These were, theoretically well trained, company technicians. Cut the kid some slack.
Can I add
Indeed. It is somewhat harsh laying the blame on failing Electronics 101 when the poor child and his parents might never have heard of that. I guess we could also say they failed Mechanics 101 and Common Sense 101; "Don't drop what you're holding".
I am not sure that has ever been done out of not recognising the consequences. No case is clear cut and depends on the circumstance but failure to warn can be actionable -
Until you run into equipment that runs 24/7 and is built to tolerate hot swap components. FYI...by design that includes SATA drives at the hardware level. (An OS would probably object to trying to hot swap a system drive.)
Heh... Photoflash capacitors are rated for 330v and are usually charged to 300v. I built one rig that used 4 750uF ones....it was to fire a 40 Joule flash tube.Imperf3kt wrote: ↑Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:32 amNote that turning things off, and unplugging them, doesn't always guarantee safety either.
When I was about 12, my uncle gave me a variable DC power supply. It had no side covers and was very heavy, but otherwise functioned perfectly, converting ~250VAC, into anywhere from 1VDC to 32VDC and was able to supply this at up to 20Amps.
It had two massive capacitors (each three times the size of a Pi) inside it, and I always managed to touch the positive side of one cap and ground (the metal frame of the device). The cap was holding DC charge as far as I am aware.
Needless to say, the pain was indescribable, and the sensation of electricity flowing through my hand, was unique. Not something easily forgotten.
I did that several times, luckily with it always disconnected from mains.
I learnt my lesson after the third electrocution, but never had the common sense to put a new cover on it.
Anyway, my point was that even powered down and unplugged electronics, can pose an electrocution or other hazard.