Cirilobareto

Hi, I want to build a music streamer & I’d appreciate any guidance.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:14 am

Hi, I’d like to put together a Rasp Pi 3 B+ music streamer/player. I can put together a Windows PC hardware & software from scratch but I’m a newbie when it comes to Rasp Pi.

Here’s what I want to build: a Rasp Pi (like Bryston Pi player w/out the high price tag) that I can connect to a internal or external SSD drive (w/ my high resolution files), connect the Rasp Pi to my external DAC & control it via iPad or iPhone. Top priority is sound quality that audiophiles will be happy with.

I have in mind only the Rasp Pi 3 B+ & the Digi + Pro. I’d like to know which OS distribution & music player to go along w/ it & whatever else I need. Also, I’d like to to use a linear PS for the best sound quality.

I’d appreciate any guidance or point me to any info online that could help. Thanks so much. Cirilo.

The Traveler

Re: Hi, I want to build a music streamer & I’d appreciate any guidance.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 pm

I’d appreciate any guidance or point me to any info online that could help.
Start here: https://www.google.com/search?q=beginne ... irefox-b-1
and work your way up.

I love seeing these "I want to build this project that is so far above my skill level" posts. Start small, grow bigger skills.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Man in a van

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Cirilobareto wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:14 am
Hi, I’d like to put together a Rasp Pi 3 B+ music streamer/player. I can put together a Windows PC hardware & software from scratch but I’m a newbie when it comes to Rasp Pi.

Here’s what I want to build: a Rasp Pi (like Bryston Pi player w/out the high price tag) that I can connect to a internal or external SSD drive (w/ my high resolution files), connect the Rasp Pi to my external DAC & control it via iPad or iPhone. Top priority is sound quality that audiophiles will be happy with.

I have in mind only the Rasp Pi 3 B+ & the Digi + Pro. I’d like to know which OS distribution & music player to go along w/ it & whatever else I need. Also, I’d like to to use a linear PS for the best sound quality.

I’d appreciate any guidance or point me to any info online that could help. Thanks so much. Cirilo.
What do you mean by "high resolution files"?

Well there is LogitechMediaServer, MoOde Audio, Volumio, RunePlayer, JRiver, Peppy Player, OmxPlayer. just of the top of my non-google head.

These are all, mostly, pre-configured OS and it's a bit like the "sorting hat" in Harry P, only the other way round (if you get what I mean).

If your files are stored on a NAS then you can use UpNP/DLNA to serve them to the pi, Airplay is another alternative, as well as streaming services like Spotify, etc. and all the wide web of radio stations.

Some of these players are a little bare bones and some have extensive choices with regard to plugins and whatnot.

You have to decide for yourself how you intend to use the player and what facilities you will use.

The good thing is that with a couple or so micro sd cards (and a back up program) you can do plenty of comparing.

My own opinion with regard to de rigueur power supplies is that I don't worry about them, at all.

Ronnie

tpyo kingg

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Icecast2 is not that hard to set up, if you do your reading first. It is there in the Raspbian software repository.

Return to “Beginners”