CheessieStew

Looking for some crash course or something

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 am

Hello.
I'm a programmer with absolutely no experience in electronics and stuff. I've decided to make an outfit using EL wires that would be controlled via the Pi based on some fft-magic analysis of audio coming from a mic.. Later I'd like to expand it by adding some speakers and a synthesiser controlled with knobs in a panel on my arm.
Now, I only know how to program the logic, the rest is totally new grounds to me. I wish to learn, but I'd like to take the quickest path that will take me to my goal instead of going through tons of tutorials. Right now I don't even know what to buy in order to start with building such a thing, and that's where I would like to start. Any materials you could recommend to me?

drgeoff

Re: Looking for some crash course or something

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Have you tried typing "basic electronics tutorial" into a search engine?

boyoh

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:27 pm

Now you know why Programmers are Cheap, and Electronic Engineers are worth their Weight in Gold

Regards BoyOh Retired Electrical / Electronic Technician

I've been on that quick electronic's course for 50yrs and not finished it yet
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

LTolledo

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Some words of wisdom from somebody who's been at your predicament before

"Haste makes waste..."

"..what seems as an 'easy way' is usually the hardest, most frustrating than the normal way..."

Take time to study first before implementing your project that suits your requirements....

Once you've started.... then some of us may be able to help....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those...
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

The Traveler

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Right now I don't even know what to buy in order to start with building such a thing, and that's where I would like to start.
Poor starting point. It's difficult to know WHAT you need until you know WHY you need it and HOW you can control it. You can waste a lot of money that way and be no closer to your goal.
I wish to learn, but I'd like to take the quickest path that will take me to my goal instead of going through tons of tutorials.
Start like everyone does, simple tutorials and work up from there because you'll need at least a rudimentary understanding of how the programming aspects work in conjunction with the physical interfaces. Your basically working with a device that I think of as a hybrid micro-controller.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

boyoh

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:01 pm

CheessieStew wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 am
Hello.
I'm a programmer with absolutely no experience in electronics and stuff. I've decided to make an outfit using EL wires that would be controlled via the Pi based on some fft-magic analysis of audio coming from a mic.. Later I'd like to expand it by adding some speakers and a synthesiser controlled with knobs in a panel on my arm.
Now, I only know how to program the logic, the rest is totally new grounds to me. I wish to learn, but I'd like to take the quickest path that will take me to my goal instead of going through tons of tutorials. Right now I don't even know what to buy in order to start with building such a thing, and that's where I would like to start. Any materials you could recommend to me?

The quick part of learning electronics is buying the kit. You will need the fallowing parts

1. BreaBoard

2. Selection of Resistors /Diodes / Transistors / Capacitors / LEDs /, Jumper wires

3 Power Supply 0v /12vdc 3/4a

4 multi meter, No need for a very expensive one

5 GOOGLE & Forum

Book on simple circuits to build Book on Ohms Law

Don't use your Pi as the power for the breadBoard

davidcoton

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm

boyoh wrote:
Power Supply 0v /12vdc 3/4a
Just one caution -- that is not a good starting point for connecting to the Pi. A 12V supply, which connects even indirectly to a Pi, will kill it stone dead.

If you want to learn about Pi interfacing rather than electronics in general, start with the Pi's 3V3 supply, which is adequate to light a few LEDs and run some switch inputs. You can still kill the Pi by shorting 3V3 to ground or 5V, but a connection between 3V3 and a GPIO is safe (unless, of course, the GPIO is output and 0V :cry: ) whereas it is hard to use 12V safely around GPIOs.

ANY electronics learning involving a Pi carries an element of risk. If you are not sure about something, ask here before trying it. Penalty for ignoring this advice, fried Pi.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

CheessieStew

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks, a lot of useful stuff here. At the very least now I know what I'm facing and I got some keywords for future searches :D

boyoh

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:20 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm
boyoh wrote:
Power Supply 0v /12vdc 3/4a
Just one caution -- that is not a good starting point for connecting to the Pi. A 12V supply, which connects even indirectly to a Pi, will kill it stone dead.

If you want to learn about Pi interfacing rather than electronics in general, start with the Pi's 3V3 supply, which is adequate to light a few LEDs and run some switch inputs. You can still kill the Pi by shorting 3V3 to ground or 5V, but a connection between 3V3 and a GPIO is safe (unless, of course, the GPIO is output and 0V :cry: ) whereas it is hard to use 12V safely around GPIOs.

ANY electronics learning involving a Pi carries an element of risk. If you are not sure about something, ask here before trying it. Penalty for ignoring this advice, fried Pi.
Learning basic electronics in general, should come first, Then learning Pi interfacing should be the next stage
Part of the electronics learning curve , you will know how different components work, and how to test them
You will learn how to use a multi-meter,

This is my advice,,,,,,,,,Regards BoyOh

Return to “Beginners”