Inkpool

Pi 3B+ 3.5 Screen Case Compatibility

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 am

I know there have been many posts regarding Pi 3B+ cases, but I have yet to find anyone asking about the 3.5 or 2.8 screens and their matching cases. If the description says it is compatible with Pi 3, is this encompassing each Pi 3 generation? I have read many product descriptions saying that these screens and their cases are compatible with Pi 3 or NOT compatible with Pi 3B+, but those that say they work with Pi 3 are not confirming that they are compatible with the 3B+.

Just a bit of newbie frustration... Trying to learn the lingo while reading product descriptions lacking in concise info. Any help?

Thanks!

Imperf3kt

Re: Pi 3B+ 3.5 Screen Case Compatibility

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:11 am

Software and compatibility wise, if it works on a Pi3b, it works on any Pi.

The issue between Pi3b and Pi3b+ is that there have been minor physical changes to the board that may affect things. Essentially, the biggest difference that may cause issues, is the addition of four POE pins - some cases simply do not allow space for these pins. If there is a gap where the pins are, you're probably fine to use it.
User experiencing technical difficulties.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:12 am

Inkpool wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 am
I know there have been many posts regarding Pi 3B+ cases, but I have yet to find anyone asking about the 3.5 or 2.8 screens and their matching cases. If the description says it is compatible with Pi 3, is this encompassing each Pi 3 generation? I have read many product descriptions saying that these screens and their cases are compatible with Pi 3 or NOT compatible with Pi 3B+, but those that say they work with Pi 3 are not confirming that they are compatible with the 3B+.

Just a bit of newbie frustration... Trying to learn the lingo while reading product descriptions lacking in concise info. Any help?

Thanks!

The majority of cases are by 3rd parties and would have to ask the sellers for clarification, you can not expect the RPF to test each one !!

Though the RPF do offer their own case:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... pi-3-case/
Adieu

Inkpool

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 am

Hey All,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am actually not just looking at a case for the motherboard. I am specifically looking at TFT/Pi/Case combos similar to something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075J ... HQ71&psc=1
Pi TFT and Case.jpg
Pi TFT and Case.jpg (118.88 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Does this change any provided information or understanding of how to judge if a a Pi 3B+ would fit into this?

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am

Inkpool wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 am
Hey All,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am actually not just looking at a case for the motherboard. I am specifically looking at TFT/Pi/Case combos similar to something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075J ... HQ71&psc=1

Pi TFT and Case.jpg

Does this change any provided information or understanding of how to judge if a a Pi 3B+ would fit into this?

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

You need to ask the seller, or hope and pray that someone who visits these forums has tried to fit the 3B+ SBC into this case.
Adieu

LTolledo

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:33 am

Have one of those, fits the RPi3B+ just fine (just reconfirmed a while ago)

If RPi is not turned on, the set looks like an un-powered digital picture frame.

Tried it for a little while, then I changed my mind as I wanted to have better cooling for the SoC.

I use another case which expose the GPIO pins, used header extensions for the used only pins of the GPIO and mounted the 3.5" screen, and used a smallest length HDMI cable.

but most of the time I just use the 3.5" screen as a spare HDMI monitor (not enabling the touch function).
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those...
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Inkpool

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:33 am
Have one of those, fits the RPi3B+ just fine (just reconfirmed a while ago)

If RPi is not turned on, the set looks like an un-powered digital picture frame.

Tried it for a little while, then I changed my mind as I wanted to have better cooling for the SoC.

I use another case which expose the GPIO pins, used header extensions for the used only pins of the GPIO and mounted the 3.5" screen, and used a smallest length HDMI cable.

but most of the time I just use the 3.5" screen as a spare HDMI monitor (not enabling the touch function).
Thank you! I really appreciated you sharing this experience:)

Return to “Beginners”