TheRedstoneDiamond

Controlling Pi over Long Distances

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi,
I'm creating a RC car which uses an raspberry pi.
However, I need to control it from a range of 15-20km through using video(720p).
I would like to if there is any way to control the Pi from this distance
Thanks for your time!!!

Sincerely, TheRedstoneDiamond

B.Goode

Re: Controlling Pi over Long Distances

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:46 pm

, I need to control it from a range of 15-20km through using video(720p).
I would like to if there is any way to control the Pi from this distance

The Internet?

SuperBoby

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:16 pm

As B.Goode said, your best bet may be to use mobile internet, because I doubt that you could find any radio emitter/transmitter portable enough AND reliable enough for 20km links...

PhatFil

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm

LORA is a low power long distance wireless protocol that might be suitable?

TheRedstoneDiamond

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:32 pm

Thx for ur reply
Sorry for the newbish question, but how do you connect it to mobile internet and what type of connection(speed etc.) would be needed?
Also Im worried about the response time of the Internet..

drgeoff

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Surely "control" is the lesser of your worries. How are you going to get moving video from the car to you?

Z80 Refugee

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 pm

It's Internet or nothing - any use of radio spectrum for this will require extensive licencing. A two-way link over those distances is possible, but you would need to buy in a properly type-approved radio link and licence its use.

The licence-free bands put strict limits on transmitter power (therefore range). Licensed bands are strictly controlled as to purpose. By tapping into the Internet for the major part of the data path, only the end points are on the licence-free bands (at low power) for the WiFi link to a local router, or (longer distance) 3G/4G radio telephony (using existing commercial agreements).
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

ithanium2

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Hey man, did you find a solution? Also can you give out more details about your robot? I am planning to do a similar thing but I am abit stuck and doing research.

The only viable solution, as posted by others is via Internet and using a mobile broadband connection. So this will have an impact of the "snapiness" of the controls, expect a slight delay in commands.

For the "remote" I was thinking of making an Android app you could run on a tablet. That app would have:
- some sort of D-pad buttons (since trying to emulate an analog stick might not have the best results).
- a slider control or something similar where you could set the speed of the motors.
- and in the center it would display the video feed from the Pi.

As a technical solution for getting internet to the Pi...well of course you are restricted to the carrier coverage of the area you want to use the Pi.
For the speed of the connection, I think we need a 4G connection for video streaming (I might be wrong, and would be happy if others can say otherwise). Here I kinda have narrowed it to three "solutions":
1. a 4G RaspberryPi HAT - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4G-3G-2 ... autifyAB=0
- on the plus side it also has GPS module
- it's a HAT so minimal space usage on the project
- might have problems with documentation and linux drivers ???
- not sure how the HAT is communicating with the Pi for data transfer... USB?

2. a 4G USB dongle
- might have trouble with drivers and setting it up?

3. a 4G wirleless mobile hotspot
- it has the largest "footprint" so it might be hard to fit it in a smaller project
- if it has an internal battery...it;s another thing to manage. If you need to power it, you will need a PDB.
- but it has a big PLUS. It is the easiest way to connect it to the Pi via WiFi.

And...the final part, which I have not figured out yet... how do we set up the Pi to broadcast the video and "listen" for commands from a remote? Some sort of web server or service that should be permanently on on the Pi?

Return to “Beginners”