mischa72

Force Raspberry Pi to cast Wifi

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 am

Good day all,

I'm trying to build a car media server for holiday purpose to keep my kids quiet in the back of my car during long holiday trips. I found a solution by using minidlna and this works in my home network.
I know the Pi (version 3) is capable of casting its own Wifi network, but only if it doesn't see any other Wifi networks for a certain period of time. I would like to know if it is possible to force the Pi to cast Wifi immetiately and if necessary connect it to a network via ethernet.
I found this documentation, but I'm not experienced enough to see if it casts Wifi immediately.

Regards,
Mischa

Z80 Refugee

Re: Force Raspberry Pi to cast Wifi

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:14 am

mischa72 wrote:
I know the Pi (version 3) is capable of casting its own Wifi network, but only if it doesn't see any other Wifi networks for a certain period of time.
That doesn't sound right. I'm not an expert on this, but I would expect a Wi-Fi adapter to be configured for a particular operating mode (connecting to an existing network or providing a hot spot) according to system settings.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

Ernst

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:19 am

Z80 Refugee wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:14 am
mischa72 wrote:
I know the Pi (version 3) is capable of casting its own Wifi network, but only if it doesn't see any other Wifi networks for a certain period of time.
That doesn't sound right. I'm not an expert on this, but I would expect a Wi-Fi adapter to be configured for a particular operating mode (connecting to an existing network or providing a hot spot) according to system settings.
You are right, one or the other is the normal configuration.

But I remember that there has been some conversation here about configuring a Pi as WiFi client in such way that if no connection can be made to an Access Point that the Pi would configure it self as Access Point.

https://lb.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32719
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

mischa72

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Ernst wrote:
But I remember that there has been some conversation here about configuring a Pi as WiFi client in such way that if no connection can be made to an Access Point that the Pi would configure it self as Access Point.

If possible I'd like to configure the Pi as an access point any time. That way it's easy to test whether what I made works or not. I prefer the Pi not to wait until it doesn't see wifi, but start to do it's "acces point trick" as soon as it is running.

Ow, wait, does this happen when the Pi doesn't see a wifi network or when it is not connected to a wifi network?

Regards,
Mischa

Ernst

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:54 pm

mischa72 wrote:
Ernst wrote:

If possible I'd like to configure the Pi as an access point any time. That way it's easy to test whether what I made works or not. I prefer the Pi not to wait until it doesn't see wifi, but start to do it's "acces point trick" as soon as it is running.
What you need is: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md
But you have to be aware that there are two parts to this description, the first part is a standalone configuration where the AP provides DHCP, the second part is when DHCP is provided in the network. There is a small omission in the second part, you must edit the /etc/default/hostapd file as described in part 1.

Please be aware that I am running the configuration described in part 2 very successfully with kernel 4.14.34 supporting 11 clients, but I have been unable to get a reliable working system with kernel 4.14.50/.52. If you want to avoid these problems I suggest you use the 2018-04-18 release. http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 018-04-19/.
mischa72 wrote:
Ow, wait, does this happen when the Pi doesn't see a wifi network or when it is not connected to a wifi network?
This was a conversation in 2013, and I believe there have been other conversations later. Theoretically it can be done but I have not tried to do so.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

Return to “Beginners”