simspace

Pip or Pip3 on RasPi Zero W is painfully slow

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi,

I am trying to use PIP to install some packages on my RasPi Zero W, but it is painfully slow ... like hours.

In fact, when I run pip --version or pip list, even those simple commands take 20 to 30 seconds to run before I see output.

Any ideas why this is happening, or how I can resolve the problem?

Thanks,
Chris

W. H. Heydt

Re: Pip or Pip3 on RasPi Zero W is painfully slow

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 am

There could be any of a number of causes, some fixable, some not. Here are a few that occur to me are:

1. The Pi0/Pi0W are among the slowest versions of the Pi. Check the settings to verify that it is running at 1GHz, as I've seen out-of-box installs run at 700MHz (the original default speed for the BCM2835 SoC).

2. Your SD card may not be very fast. This can be fixed by copying or rebuilding your SD card on a faster model. I'm told that the best current ones have a "A1" rating.

3. What else is your Pi doing? Are you running any other programs concurrently? The Pi0/Pi0W has a single CPU core. So while it has algorithms to share the available processor cycles among the tasks trying to run, it can really only do one thing at a time.

If you can replace your Pi0/Pi0W with a Pi3B+ you should see about a 10 fold increase in performance.

simspace

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 am
There could be any of a number of causes, some fixable, some not. Here are a few that occur to me are:
Good stuff. I will look into all your suggestions.
Thanks for the reply!

madtom1999

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:05 pm

I was just installing Tensorflow onto my Pi3B+ and idly followed the instruction to 'pip3 -V' and it took a full 7 seconds to return the version detail. I tried again with the same result.
On my i7 laptop the same command takes a noticeable amount of time to return - less than a second but a definite pause for something. The command does seem to be doing something unnecessary at startup (well unnecessary for -V).

Return to “Beginners”