canberkbaykal

Raspberry Pi 3 B+ no wireless interfaces found

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 am

Hello, I'm new to Raspberry PI. I can connect to Wi-Fi when I use RPi 3B but when I boot the system with 3B+ it doesn't connect to Wi-Fi automatically and when I click on the top right to connect it to Wi-Fi, I see the error:

no wireless interfaces found.

We tried

sudo rpi-update
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
and some other common solutions on the internet but none of them solved the problem. I can connect to internet via Ethernet but I need to connect to Wi-Fi. I also tried to set the country code but it did not work.

Are there any other solutions we can try?

pcmanbob

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ no wireless interfaces found

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi.

So I assume you have just moved your SD card from the pi 3B to the pi 3B+

So assuming your are running raspbian stretch ( because your pi 3B+ actually booted ) before moving your SD card did you do

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

to update the OS to the latest software ?

also you should not be running sudo rpi-update this will install test versions of software which may break your OS only use this if you are told to by one of the forum raspberry pi foundation support staff.

I would try putting the SD card back in the pi 3B and run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then check your wpa-supplicant.conf file contains the following

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="your SSID"
	psk="you passwordl"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
you might have to change the country and key mgmt to match your wifi network.

then try it in your pi 3B+
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:18 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:03 pm
... So assuming your are running raspbian stretch ( because your pi 3B+ actually booted )
He said he already tried updating, and he already ran rpi-update, so it can't be assumed he's running Stretch since that will get Jessie to boot, but won't solve other problems, so it's possible it is Jessie because no WiFi is one of the problems you'll encounter.

@canberkbaykal,

If you are running Raspbian Jessie, it's too old for the Pi3B+ model. Try the latest version of Raspbian Stretch. Jessie doesn't support the Pi3B+ model, and while you can get it to boot with sudo rpi-update, that is just the beginning of the problems you'll need to solve.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

canberkbaykal

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:01 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:18 pm
@canberkbaykal,

If you are running Raspbian Jessie, it's too old for the Pi3B+ model. Try the latest version of Raspbian Stretch. Jessie doesn't support the Pi3B+ model, and while you can get it to boot with sudo rpi-update, that is just the beginning of the problems you'll need to solve.

Thanks, this solved my problem. I was able to connect to Wi-Fi using the latest version of Raspbian Strectch. I have another question. Can I somehow update my current system that is Raspbian Jessie to Raspbian Stretch or do I have to start from scratch with a fresh image of Raspbian Stretch?

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Honestly, starting from scratch will likely be easier than trying to bring Jessie up to date.

However, if you want to try, you can do that by updating your sources from jessie to stretch and then performing a full update/upgrade cycle (sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y). This will install, upgrade and replace tons of stuff, and probably leave a lot of garbage behind (left over software and configuration files), but after rebooting you should be running stretch. It will not be identical to a clean install of Stretch, but it will be Stretch. From what I've seen here on the forums, the success rate for this is hit or miss, and even the ones who are successful sometimes run into trouble down the road. It's that uncertainty that makes me reluctant to recommend a Jessie/Stretch upgrade.

If you are going to try this, I strongly suggest you do it on a backup card.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

canberkbaykal

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 pm

@HawaiianPi Yes, I've discovered starting from scratch is much easier now. Thanks so much for helping :).

Return to “Beginners”