Sikator

First kit cheap sensor kit legit?

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Hey, i am brand new to this forum and Raspberry pi.
I am about to order a pi 3 b+, charger, case etc. Though i wanted some sensors to play around with and i was wondering if these would do the job: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/100 ... spberry-pi
Idk how "Fakes" are in the Pi world, are these safe you think?

The Traveler

Re: First kit cheap sensor kit legit?

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 pm

The adage, "You get what you pay for" is as true with Raspberry Pi as anything else. There seems to be plenty of junk out there so you have to be selective. Frankly, given the cost of those items separately, that kit seems woefully under-priced to me. I'm not saying they are junk as I've never bought anything from them, just seems "fairly below the price curve".

I tend to read through the product reviews. This site has 1 review on the product in a year ...

Cheers.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi.

I have never used this site to buy from.

But you will find most of those sensors on many on line shopping sites that sell electronics and components, they will probably be made in china, but should work just fine.

Just be aware that most will work on 5v and the pi gpio is not 5v tolerant, so before connecting any of them to the pi check the output of the sensor and use the proper level shifters or potential divider circuits to connect them to your pi.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Sikator

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:19 pm
Hi.

I have never used this site to buy from.

But you will find most of those sensors on many on line shopping sites that sell electronics and components, they will probably be made in china, but should work just fine.

Just be aware that most will work on 5v and the pi gpio is not 5v tolerant, so before connecting any of them to the pi check the output of the sensor and use the proper level shifters or potential divider circuits to connect them to your pi.

Hmmm, 5 volt? as far as my incredible low knowledge of pi's and this community i see the sensors linked as either straight copies or maybe even the exact same components as the original/conventional ones. And since they are labeled as "Sensor Module Kit for Raspberry Pi" i would think they would use the same voltages as the "original" ones? Or am i wrong? I just don't see why a copy would use different voltage ratings? o.O Or is this normal around these things? Because of "other" uses ?
Or am i just making way to much out of this and what you actually meant is that some of the sensors normally uses 5v and that i simply should do research on each sensor as i am going to fiddle with them?

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:48 pm

You will find lots of things that say for the pi or work with the pi, but when you look closely they operate at 5v.

Taking just one sensor in that kit, the ultrasonic range sensor HC SR04 all the ones I have ever seen operate at 5v and many of the examples on line showing you how to use them use the same 1K & 2K potential divider circuit to connect the echo pin to the pi gpio.

Many of these sensors if not all were designed for the Arduino which will work at 5v, they will work just as well with the pi if you take the proper precautions when connecting them to the gpio.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

The Traveler

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 pm

And since they are labeled as "Sensor Module Kit for Raspberry Pi" i would think they would use the same voltages as the "original" ones?
Well, it would only cost you $11.58 to find out ...
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Think of it like a car.
15 inch tires will work with your car.
18 inch tires will work with your car.
Neither of these tires will connect to your car without an appropriately sized, compatible rim.
The Traveler wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 pm
And since they are labeled as "Sensor Module Kit for Raspberry Pi" i would think they would use the same voltages as the "original" ones?
Well, it would only cost you $11.58 to find out ...
One might consider including the price of a new Pi + postage.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

B.Goode

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:28 pm

since they are labeled as "Sensor Module Kit for Raspberry Pi" i would think they would use the same voltages as the "original" ones?

The Raspberry Pi Foundation does not manufacture, rebadge, or sell any sensors. There are no 'original' versions for comparison.

I think from the point of view of the shift-it-cheap sellers, if a component can be 'coerced' into being used with an RPi then they think it is legitimate to describe it, over-optomistically, as being 'suitable for' an RPi.

Buyer beware.

Take care over selecting or using any component that might deliver a dangerous out of spec voltage to a 3.3v gpio pin.

henmina53

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 am

Hi, Rather than going on GPIO I should suggest that you should start interfacing sensors which have I2C compatibility which will also help you to know about the basic start and for first use, you should check out temperature and humidity sensor https://store.ncd.io/product/sht31-humi ... ni-module/ and its Github code https://github.com/ControlEverythingCom ... /SHT31.ino already available

You will be easily understanding about the code and also meet up the requirement you really want know about raspberry pi.

bensimmo

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:29 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:28 pm
since they are labeled as "Sensor Module Kit for Raspberry Pi" i would think they would use the same voltages as the "original" ones?

The Raspberry Pi Foundation does not manufacture, rebadge, or sell any sensors. There are no 'original' versions for comparison.
...other than the SenseHAT.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/sense-hat/

boyoh

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Sikator wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:56 pm
Hey, i am brand new to this forum and Raspberry pi.
I am about to order a pi 3 b+, charger, case etc. Though i wanted some sensors to play around with and i was wondering if these would do the job: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/100 ... spberry-pi
Idk how "Fakes" are in the Pi world, are these safe you think?

You are new to the forum and the Raspberry Pi, Your post leads me to your problem
Your lack of understanding of basic electronics , just some learning is what you need.

You will then understand how to interface with the Pi IN/PUTs & OUT/PUTS, Start with
learning how to interface using signal and voltage levelers, All this is on GOOGLE.
Also learn OHM's LAW
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

Return to “Beginners”