admanami

Detached IP Camera + Media Server = Possible?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:20 am

Hello

I'm brand new to Raspberry Pi.

I've done a bit of research and was wondering if it is possible to use one Raspberry Pi to act as:

* A media server (with attached storage) - e.g. using Kodi etc
AND
* Connected wirelessly to a camera to capture stills taken at set intervals

(Both on the same local network).

I'm assuming the camera setup will be the trickiest part. If this is possible, are there any gotchas I should be aware of?

I'm going to be using an outdoor solar-powered camera to take a couple of still photos of my garden. I want to use the Raspberry Pi to upload those images to the cloud. Over the years, I will combine the photos into a time-lapse.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

ghans

Re: Detached IP Camera + Media Server = Possible?

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 am

Post a link to the datasheet of your camera. A link to the manual would be good too.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

admanami

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi ghans

Thanks for your reply. I don't have the camera yet -- basically I just wanted to know if this type of setup is possible before buying one.

btidey

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 am

Almost certainly possible providing the camera has some form of network capability. E.g. either an IP camera or one made from a Raspberry Pi itself (e.g. ZeroW + Pi camera module).

ghans

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Make sure that the camera doesn't only work with Internet Explorer ... especially ActiveX should not be necessary for the stream to be displayed ....

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Beginners”