dsyleixa123

virtual keyboard for touch screen?

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:01 pm

hello,
for my 13" HDMI touchscreen with USB HID interface it would be very handsome to have a virtual keyboard to enter letters, numbers, and special chars.
For windows this tool is installed automatically by the Windows driver of my touchscreen, but for the Pi I could not find something like that.
Does anyone know such a tool?

(perhaps alternatively also possible as a C++ lib to be included in my own C++ programs, which is then shown up on the screen)

edit:
(I have a Pi2 running Jessie)
Last edited by dsyleixa123 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topguy

Re: virtual keyboard for touch screen?

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 am

For windows this tool is installed automatically by the Windows driver of my touchscreen, but for the Pi I could not find something like that.
Did you try to put "virtual keyboard" in the search box in the top right corner of this page ?

dsyleixa123

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:52 pm

actualy yes, but nothing specific related to a HDMI touch screen with USB HDI interface.

topguy

Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:44 pm

But did you try to install one of the mentioned programs ?
If the touch screen already works as a mouse the virtual keyboard should not care what kind of screen you are using.

dsyleixa123

Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:56 pm

no, I have not tried, because all the topics I found were about virtual keyboard for the boot console or using an Android as an input device.
Which tool would you advice me to use?

procount

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:29 pm

The first link mentions "Matchbox" and "Florence".
Try those first.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

dsyleixa123

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:47 pm

ok,thank you,
so I typed
sudo apt-get install matchbox-keyboard
then rebooted, but there is no keyboard in the start menu accesories...

2nd, after having started in the concole or by a desktop file with the command
matchbox-keyboard
it showsa up but then works very unstable and jerky, hangs up, and after terminating it then the regular mouse and keyboard also don't work reliably any more (can't click on desktop icons, especially double click don't work, no key strokes work any more).

what do I miss?
Last edited by dsyleixa123 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

gkaiseril

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm

There is the kvkbd package that will install a virtual keyboard and systray icon. You can start it in the command line with the command "kvkbd". After a full restart a new menu item "Universal Access" will become available and you will find "kvbd " in this menu item. You can use the menu editor to modify the entry name as needed.

dsyleixa123

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:00 pm

sudo apt-get install kvkbd
:?:

gkaiseril

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm

That eill work. You can also use aptitude or synaptic. It part of the repositories.

dsyleixa123

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:16 pm

thank you, I could install it (hell, what a package!!) and make it start by "kvkbd" in the terminal. Looks very nice! 8-)
Unfortunately I can't find it in the pixel start menu:
After a full restart a new menu item "Universal Access" will become available and you will find "kvbd " in this menu item
I can't see neither a new menu item "Universal Access" nor an entry in "accessories" or anywhere else.

Is there perhaps also a way by creating a file like "kvkbd.sh" with just 1 entry "kvkbd" ?

update:
I just encountered an issue, In the console I now have an error message:

QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

and after once having terminated it, I can't restart kvkbd any more (until after reboot). What is going wrong?

gkaiseril

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 pm

You should be able to edit the menu with the tool under "Preferences => Main Menu Editor" Then with the "Applications" highlighted make sure the "Universal Access" is checked. Then select the "Universal Access" under "Applications" and that "Kvkbd" is shown and checked. Then you can restart the Pi and the menu should now be updated to include the "Universal Access" category in the menu.

The kvkbd application is part of the GUI desktop so the desktop needs to be running before invoking the kvkbd command The kvkbd command is located in the /usr/bin/X11 directory.
Last edited by gkaiseril on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsyleixa123

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 pm

there is no "Universal" thingy in the Main Menu Editor, and all available App groups are already checked

edit:

even though checked, the (German App group) "Barrierefreiheit" did not show up, and in there I finally found it (where I actually also didn't ever expect it as in Germany it's commonly used for tools to physically handicapped people).
After moving this App group upwards it suddenly showed up surprisingly, containig kvkbd as expected then.
Last edited by dsyleixa123 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsyleixa123

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm

nonetheless, the same issue:
once started and then terminated, it cannot be re-started any more, until after system reboot.
Stll the same errors in the terminal

how can I fix that?

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 am

after both the matchbox-keyboard and kvkbd don't work reliably on my Pi2/Jessie, are there bug fixes available or shall I remove them?

gkaiseril

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Jessie is long in the tooth. Have you considered moving up to stretch?

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:01 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:41 pm
Jessie is long in the tooth. Have you considered moving up to stretch?
no, I have installed too many programs with too many personal settings, far too cumbersome and time-consuming to reinstall everything anew.
(P.S, I also still use Windows 7 and partially XP, because of exactly the same reasons ;) )

bensimmo

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:18 pm

stretch brings with it the newer stretch repositories (place apt gets its stuff) so It may/may bring a better keyboard and windows, sorry raspbian desktop/lxde setup.

try another SD card and test the keyboard on a plain new stretch desktop install.

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm

ok, I finally uninstalled matchbox-keyboard and kvkbd because both worked unstable and unsure. Perhaps I'll try out florence.

bensimmo

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:42 pm

there must be something nice out there, the Jessie kvkbd is from 2011 and the stretch is from 2016.

Given the number of keyboards on Android and the rate they add pointless feature. you would think Linux accessibility kept up.

from the Florence alter alternatives
http://florence.sourceforge.net/english ... tives.html

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:29 pm

Florence also doesn't work correctly, even after installing at-spi2-core additionally:
either I get double chars when pressing just 1 key (touchscreen mode) or (in mouse) mode I can't use the function keys (e.g. alt+F4) and then have to use an extra external mouse.
Hell, what a mess!
Now which virtual keyboard for touchscreens works reliably for Jessie? Isn't anyone using such a tool with really good personal experience?
is perhaps someone experienced in GOK or xvkbd for Jessie?

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:43 pm

is that true? Actually no functioning virtual keyboard program available?

topguy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Of all the owners of a pi on this forum, maybe 5% of them own the official 7" screen. Maybe 10% of them again will ever need a virtual keyboard.
Only some of them have found a working solution, most of them might not use the old Jessie and then they have to stumble on this thread in particular.

I'm just saying that the more exotic the problem, the less chances of getting an answer. So you either do the hard work yourself, give up or try to think outside the box.

What did ubuntu use as virtual keyboard on their old tablet ( phablet ) releases..?
Who else would need virtual keyboards ? Makers of "Magic Mirrors" and "Kiosk" solutions perhaps, their guides might have tips.

dsyleixa123

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 pm

I have no "official 7" screen", I have just a 13" HDMI TFT with a USB HID touch interface, and IMO that is not so exotic, I want to use it like a handy Windows tablet (the Pi mounted behind the screen, and an extra HAT or a T-cobbler for optional devices). As HID by USB ist probably a common standard and touch screens also are common on Windows, Androids, and iPhones I finally don't quite understand why that should be like something from outa space....
Perhaps it would already help if you could show how to fix the bugs about not restartable tools after being intermediately closed (matchbox and kvkbd) or how Florence can be stopped from always echoing double characters to the target window (without having to use an additional mouse or keyboard for F-keys and full keyboard functionality).

So can you provide a solution for me to choose (perhaps thought from out of the box)?
(I must admit that the Pi is my first Linux system ever, I am an absolute beginner to Linux, and I have no idea about Ubuntu.)

bensimmo

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:58 pm

From my link posted above, have you tried Onboard?
Uninstall the others first though just to make sure they don't trip over each other.

You may well have to move up to Stretch and away from Jessie, it's no longer supported other than with what Debian release for security updates.
RaspberryPi do not support it anymore.

I have no idea, I've not used an on screen keyboard.

Return to “Beginners”