seanspotatobusiness

Tried and failed to create a Chromium shortcut on desktop using context menu in program menu

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 am

Here you can see I tried to create a Chromium shortcut on the desktop using the context menu from the Chromium entry in the program menu. The Pi then made some kind of text file which does not open Chromium. What happened? What is "Add to desktop" supposed to mean? On Windows it would create a shortcut that I could use to open the program.

Raspberry Pi 3 B and B+
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"

klricks

Re: Tried and failed to create a Chromium shortcut on desktop using context menu in program menu

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 am

seanspotatobusiness wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 am
Here you can see I tried to create a Chromium shortcut on the desktop using the context menu from the Chromium entry in the program menu. The Pi then made some kind of text file which does not open Chromium. What happened? What is "Add to desktop" supposed to mean? On Windows it would create a shortcut that I could use to open the program.
Something is wrong with your system. I have no problem creating a working desktop shortcut with proper icon using the add to desktop feature..
Though for me there is no point as the Chromium start icon is already in the taskbar in the default installation.

Note: You can get much better VNC screen resolution if you use the GUI config tool or sudo raspi-config to choose a higher screen resolution..
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

seanspotatobusiness

Re: Tried and failed to create a Chromium shortcut on desktop using context menu in program menu

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:15 am

:(

The taskbar is small so I don't want any shortcuts on it.

I reduced the VNC quality to reduce lag. It now displays grey as pink. I can deal with that better than I can deal with the lag-induced anger and despair.
Raspberry Pi 3 B and B+
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"

LTolledo

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:32 am

klricks wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 am

Something is wrong with your system. I have no problem creating a working desktop shortcut with proper icon using the add to desktop feature..
Though for me there is no point as the Chromium start icon is already in the taskbar in the default installation.
I second this. My Raspbian Stretch desktop installation on an RPi3B , or even on RPiZW or RPiA (the very old one) I did not encounter your problem.
Even adding a desktop shortcut remotely via RealVNC connection I got the desired results.

If you have not installed much app/packages, may I suggest a clean image install (not use NOOBS)....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those...
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Return to “Beginners”