jptruong

What type of STP16CP05 used for 7-segment LEDs

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Hello,

I did a search on the forums but couldn't find the exact answer.

I wanted to purchase this shift register but there are different ones with similar names. Wanted to get some clarity as which I should get.

STP16CP05MTR SO-24
STP16CP05TTR TSSOP24
STP16CP05XTTR TSSOP24 exposed pad
STP16CP05PTR QSOP-24

Guess a little info on what I'm planning to do with it would help huh?

I'm making a scoreboard type of project.So I'm planning to have this control 20x Single 7-Segmented LEDs. Since these LEDs have to be spaced out individually, I couldn't use double or quad 7-segment ones.

So, the 20x Single LEDs will have to go 10 across and 10 down (10 along the X axis, 10 along the Y axis).

Would it be okay to group them by 10's?

Thank you!

Z80 Refugee

Re: What type of STP16CP05 used for 7-segment LEDs

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 pm

jptruong wrote:
I wanted to purchase this shift register but there are different ones with similar names. Wanted to get some clarity as which I should get.

STP16CP05MTR SO-24
STP16CP05TTR TSSOP24
STP16CP05PTR QSOP-24

Not really. All those items you have listed do the same thing. The difference is the physical package they come in, and therefore how easy (or difficult) you will find them to actually use. What you need to do is look up the exact physical details on these devices' data sheets (or look at the package type on Wikipedia), and see whether any of them suit your PCB/soldering/circuit construction ability. None of those listed are a conventional through-hole IC package, they are all surface-mount.

The least difficult is probably the SO-24, which has 12 contacts in each of two rows at 0.05" spacing. There are SO to DIL adapters available, which may help.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

jptruong

Re: What type of STP16CP05 used for 7-segment LEDs

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Z80 Refugee wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 pm
jptruong wrote:

STP16CP05MTR SO-24
STP16CP05TTR TSSOP24
STP16CP05PTR QSOP-24

Not really. All those items you have listed do the same thing. The difference is the physical package they come in, and therefore how easy (or difficult) you will find them to actually use. What you need to do is look up the exact physical details on these devices' data sheets (or look at the package type on Wikipedia), and see whether any of them suit your PCB/soldering/circuit construction ability. None of those listed are a conventional through-hole IC package, they are all surface-mount.

The least difficult is probably the SO-24, which has 12 contacts in each of two rows at 0.05" spacing. There are SO to DIL adapters available, which may help.
Thank you! More researching.... here I come!

Return to “Beginners”