Remus66

Windows 10 - Pi3B+ ----- SOLVED

Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am

Forgive me if this question has already been asked but I am only a beginner and can't follow half the posts on here as they talk about 'fstab', 'putty', etc, etc.

I managed to find putty, but it just remotes me into my Pi, am I right?

Anyway, before I bought myself the Pi, I had been doing a Python 3 course and have a multitude of files which I wrote in Atom, VSCode, but the point is they are all programs now and I want to be able to continue the course and be able to swap files between my Win10Pro machine and the Pi.

I am unsure, but since one of the last Windows Updates, I am unable to see things on my network. An example is that I can access my NAS via it's Admin Centre, I can even map a network drive using the software, and can ping my NAS, but it does not show up under networks.

The same with my Pi, I can ping my Pi from the powershell, but cannot see it. I followed some instruction on how to create a 'Samba' is that right.

Is there somewhere that explains procedures like that that I will be able to follow. At the moment it's all try this, try that and I have to spend hours researching Google to work out what they told me.

I thought I was fairly computer literate, but it appears not.
Last edited by Remus66 on Sat May 26, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btidey

Re: Windows 10 - Pi3B+

Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 am

If you want to develop between the pi and a windows machine then your main friends are putty, winscp and sometimes remote desktop if you really need the desktop.

putty allows you to remote ssh into the pi and run a terminal session for commands.

winscp allows you to easily copy files backwards and forwards between the pi and the WIndows machine without setting up shares. So you can copy from anywhere on the PC.

remote desktop allows you to interact with the pi desktop if you need to.

On the WIndows update messing up your networking then one of the issues it that it sometimes switches the network settings over to be a public network. It is best to set it to be a private network if you want sharing.

markkuk

Fri May 25, 2018 8:54 am

Remus66 wrote:
I want to be able to continue the course and be able to swap files between my Win10Pro machine and the Pi.
The old-fashioned solution: copy the files to an USB stick on the Windows machine, then move the stick and files to the Pi.

HawaiianPi

Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 pm

While PuTTY works fine, Windows 10 offers other options. The latest 2018 Spring Update added OpenSSH to the Windows 10 command and powershell utilities, so you can SSH directly from Windows 10 now.

Also, the previous 2017 Fall Creators Update added the ability to install a Linux Bash shell with a few different versions of Linux to choose from in the Windows store (I'm using Ubuntu). Either OpenSSH or the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) will allow you to SSH and SCP from Windows (and the Bash shell offers many other Linux CLI functions as well).

The update replaced many Windows system files, and that may require reinstalling or reconfiguring things to get them working again. I often just do a clean install when an update breaks too much stuff (if I'm going to have to setup a bunch of stuff again, I might as well clean the system).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jahboater

Fri May 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Remus66 wrote:
Anyway, before I bought myself the Pi, I had been doing a Python 3 course and have a multitude of files
Just FYI, the Pi (Raspbian) has Python 3 pre-installed and ready to use.

Remus66

Re: Windows 10 - Pi3B+ ----- SOLVED

Sat May 26, 2018 8:01 pm

I suppose the best way to learn about something is to read, read, read.

One of the reasons I bought myself the pi was for trying my hand at programming. During one of the exercises I had to change access in Win10 to allow me to write a directory or something like that. I played around with something I shouldn't have.

To cut to the chase I reinstalled Windows 10 and bingo, all my PC's and the Pi appeared on my network.

Then after trying about three or four different Samba programs, I finally got it all working. I also had to upgrade Python to 3.6 which wasn't hard either. So now with Putty I can load all my programs and test them. I just have to work out how to post code and I will put them up.

Thanks to all of you that helped and directed me in the right direction.

persistenceofvision

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 pm

markkuk wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:54 am
Remus66 wrote:
I want to be able to continue the course and be able to swap files between my Win10Pro machine and the Pi.
The old-fashioned solution: copy the files to an USB stick on the Windows machine, then move the stick and files to the Pi.
Yeah that's what i have decided to do. I just spent something like 3 weeks trying to network my windows 10 pc with my Raspberry Pi Desktop machine and have had no success.

I have tried everything under the sun and I mean everything and the Raspberry will just not show up in my Windows 10 networks. I tried typing in the ip address of the raspberry and nothing, unable to find it. I did all my smb.conf edits and in fact used one from these forums that i thought would be the winner and nada. I rebooted both machines and even edited the avahi.conf to not use Ipv6, only ipv4 and nothing. didn't work.

Raspberry pi not showing up in windows and on the raspberry side i see the windows 10 machine but access is always denied. also it shows my windows 10 machine as well as Windows Network. If i click my windows 10 pc from raspberry it says that the location is not mounted. Not one tutorial (and i've read so many i just can't read any more of them) did it mention you have to mount the windows pc on the raspberry side. So i'm just super lost and going to do things the old fashioned way using a jump drive to bring files from my raspberry pi NAS. i don't know what else to do.

I'm overwhelmed and exhausted from constant failure with this. I just spent weeks of my life I can't get back and nothing worked. I also completely turned off the firewall on the windows 10 side to see if it is the firewall stopping the connection and you guessed it, nada. So basically I am at windows 10 can not see the raspberry pi and the raspberry sees windows 10 but it has to be mounted somehow? does that make any sense?

I’ll just get a 1tb drive that I can hot swap between the raspberry pi and my windows 10 pc for file swapping. It seems that if it is going to be beyond difficult to network windows 10 with the raspberry pi then it’s not worth doing. In the past it wasn’t so difficult with smb ver1 and I was tempted to just use that since no one else uses my network and it’s a private network. I’ve tried everything and not just once but several times and after working on this for so long, I’m burnt out. it’s just not physically possible to connect them in a network I guess. I also use Kodi on the raspberry pi and while it would’ve been nice to stream something from my windows 10 pc over my network to the raspberry pi I just don’t want to be frustrated with it anymore so I decided to just give up.

Now I can start my new project of uninstalling all the samba stuff, maybe not having samba it will speed up my raspberry pi a little. It tends to get a little sluggish especially when using chromium but that’s why I have the windows 10 pc to surf the web. I guess networking took a huge step backwards.

The Traveler

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:19 am

You can always install smarTTY on your windows box. It's got a drag and drop interface to transfer files. http://smartty.sysprogs.com/
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:18 am

Hmm, does sounds like we need a comprehensive section on Samba shares in the docs. Shouldn't be that difficult to do, but although the Linux side is fairly simpy, sorting out the permission on the Windows side is a PITA, but tbh, I'm not a Windows expert any more!

There is this from the MagPi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/samba-file-server/
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “Beginners”