Remus66

Pi 3 B+ Booting from mSATA SSD

Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 am

I used to have one of the original Pi's in a plain perspex case until it recently got squashed in a move. So I went all out and purchased a 3B+ as well as a Samsung mSATA SSD.

I am only new to Linux and am learning hence the beginner's post.

I am trying to learn how to partition my SSD and then boot from it. I make a boot partition in FAT32, and made another partition, and tried to install via NOOB, but it only see's the whole SSD, not my partition.

Is it possible, if so, is there any instructions? I am fairly literate when it comes to computers.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Pi 3 B+ Booting from mSATA SSD

Wed May 23, 2018 11:37 am

Remus66 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 am
I used to have one of the original Pi's in a plain perspex case until it recently got squashed in a move. So I went all out and purchased a 3B+ as well as a Samsung mSATA SSD.

I am only new to Linux and am learning hence the beginner's post.

I am trying to learn how to partition my SSD and then boot from it. I make a boot partition in FAT32, and made another partition, and tried to install via NOOB, but it only see's the whole SSD, not my partition.

Is it possible, if so, is there any instructions? I am fairly literate when it comes to computers.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

Ignore the OTPbit section, the 3B+ by default has this already set....
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

LTolledo

Wed May 23, 2018 2:11 pm

as pointed out by the gurus here, better start with a clean install of latest Raspbian Stretch image to mSATA SSD, for a new fresh installation so that it will boot from mSATA, that is if you have not populated your current installation with your favorite apps and settings.

This one worked for me, coping an image installed Raspbian to USB device using SD Card Copier.

for NOOBS current installation, better search for a tutorial to do so. I failed several times booting from cloned NOOBS installed raspbian to USB device. There are some out there.... somewhere...
Last edited by LTolledo on Wed May 23, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LTolledo

Wed May 23, 2018 2:20 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
[Ignore the OTPbit section, the 3B+ by default has this already set....
+ reason to get RPi3B+

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:20 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
[Ignore the OTPbit section, the 3B+ by default has this already set....
+ reason to get RPi3B+
Yes, in that it saves a couple of steps and a bit of time. No, in that it isn't difficult and doesn't take very long.

One still has to set the OTP bit to do a USB boot on a Pi3B or a Pi2Bv1.2. Going through the process won't harm a Pi3B.

Remus66

Wed May 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Ok, with a little bit of CLI I have managed to get it to boot from the SSD. It has all the directory structures there, but I have not been able to successfully put an image on there yet.

It tells you to use 'Etcher'. Stupid question, can I use Etcher on the Pi itself, or do I have to plug the mSATA into my Windows PC or something to image it?

Remus66

Re: Pi 3 B+ Booting from mSATA SSD - Solved

Thu May 24, 2018 1:33 am

I may have stumbled upon it by accident, but it works. Maybe I will now dissect it and find out how.

There are so many posts about how to get this to work, some with GUI options, others with CLI.
I basically followed the bouncing ball on here:

https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... -on-a-pi-3

Using GParted I made a couple of partitions on my new SSD then utilised SD Card Copier which basically duplicated it. Then I followed this:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

I was unsure but read somewhere that the Pi3B+ doesn't have a problem.

It still hung on boot up, so I ended up holding down shift on startup and using NOOB installer.

It boots up and I now have 227 GB of space.

Winning!!!!! :D

ab1jx

Thu May 24, 2018 2:39 am

That's more complicated than just using dd which is already in the Raspbian images. The image file has 2 partitions in it, the device you write it to will end up with 2 partitions. There's code in there to resize the / partition on first boot so it fills the disk, that's automatic. Well, now you're not a newbie anymore. Not sure why it hung on boot, might have had to do with the resizing going on. Normally it reboots itself once the first time.

W. H. Heydt

Thu May 24, 2018 2:46 am

ab1jx wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:39 am
Not sure why it hung on boot, might have had to do with the resizing going on. Normally it reboots itself once the first time.
At a guess, cmdline.txt wasn't pointing to the correct PARTUUID for the root partition.

jahboater

Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 am

Remus66 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:26 pm
It tells you to use 'Etcher'. Stupid question, can I use Etcher on the Pi itself, or do I have to plug the mSATA into my Windows PC or something to image it?
As noted above, its dead easy on the Pi as it runs Linux.
You can use etcher on the Pi but I never do, the "cp" command (simplest) or "dd" do the job fine, no need for any software to be installed, and don't need a GUI. You are simply copying a file!

You just need (assuming it is /dev/sda - check carefully):-

unzip 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch.zip
sudo cp 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch.img /dev/sda
sync

For "dd" replace the "cp" with:
sudo dd if=2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

Or you could unzip direct to the device.

You can verify your download with:

sha256sum 2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch.zip

Return to “Beginners”