7fh3498f

System drive as /dev/sdb...

Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 am

Hi guys

I have some issues with drives in my RPI3+. The thing is that system drive (/boot and /root) are /dev/sdb. USB drive where I keep only data is /dev/sda. I also boot from USB drive. If I change usb drives to different ports, RPi is not booting at all (I can see by built in LED in pendrive that it is trying to access the drive where data is not the system. Look like there in only one way of connecting usb drives to port which works.

My question is... Is there any way of forcing my system drive to be mounted as /dev/sda? Thank you guys...

thagrol

Re: System drive as /dev/sdb...

Sun May 06, 2018 12:05 pm

7fh3498f wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 am
My question is... Is there any way of forcing my system drive to be mounted as /dev/sda?
Nope. Switch to mounting by UUID or PARTUUID instead. You can get those by running

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
USB drives are not guaranteed to keep the same device node (/dev/sd?) across reboots especially when drives are added, removed, or plugged into a different host port.
This space unintentionally left blank.

HawaiianPi

Re: System drive as /dev/sdb...

Sun May 06, 2018 7:28 pm

What he said ^

Raspbian changed from using /dev/sdx to PARTUUID some time ago, and that will keep your system booting regardless of what device identifier is assigned to your boot drive. This is controlled by settings in the /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab files.

Note, however, that if you have more than one bootable USB drive connected to the system, there is no way to control which drive boots without an SD card in the system.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”