pPhil

Clone SHD of rPi 3b to b+ ???

Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 pm

I am getting my 3rd rPi, 2 3B's and 1 zeroW.

i had been cloning my original card to use for subsequent ones. Can I do the same on my new 3b+. I see comments about using only the latest raspian. Surely theos will boot in a safe mode until updated to latest proper device drivers via apt-get update

I like keeping all my user and openVPN identical and don't want to go through the headache of changing user pi to my own etc. Not easy combing through all the embedded user 'pi' settings as well as changing server name and so on.

pPhil

Re: Clone SHD of rPi 3b to b+ ???

Sat May 05, 2018 11:51 pm

I found this regarding how to go from 3b to 3b+

Anyone know this is the correct way

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... -raspberry

HawaiianPi

Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 am

If your current SD cards have an older version of Raspbian Stretch, all you should need to do is run

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
on them (in one of your older Pi models) to get the new firmware and kernel. It should then work on the new 3B+ model.

If your cards have Raspbian Jessie it gets more complicated, so you really should start over with a fresh image of the latest Raspbian. However, if you really want to get Jessie booting on the new 3B+ you can add sudo rpi-update to the commands I listed above to install the testing branch firmware. But do note that the testing branch firmware could be buggy and unstable, and may not solve all of the issues with Jessie on the 3B+ model.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

rpdom

Sun May 06, 2018 5:14 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 am
If your current SD cards have an older version of Raspbian Stretch, all you should need to do is run

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
on them (in one of your older Pi models) to get the new firmware and kernel. It should then work on the new 3B+ model.

If your cards have Raspbian Jessie it gets more complicated, so you really should start over with a fresh image of the latest Raspbian. However, if you really want to get Jessie booting on the new 3B+ you can add sudo rpi-update to the commands I listed above to install the testing branch firmware. But do note that the testing branch firmware could be buggy and unstable, and may not solve all of the issues with Jessie on the 3B+ model.
Also, if your cards have NOOBS, it gets quite complicated, but is possible.

HawaiianPi

Sun May 06, 2018 6:29 am

rpdom wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:14 am
Also, if your cards have NOOBS, it gets quite complicated, but is possible.
Oh yea, forgot about that. For NOOBS you must not only upgrade the Raspbian packages, you also need to manually update NOOBS to the latest version.

pPhil

Sat May 12, 2018 12:56 am

thanks but these suggestions do not address cloning my user data changes to the base raspbian.

HawaiianPi

Sat May 12, 2018 7:11 am

What you asked was,
pPhil wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:21 pm
i had been cloning my original card to use for subsequent ones. Can I do the same on my new 3b+.
And I told you how to do that. At least as far as I could, since you provided no details about your system. Is there a specific reason you think my suggestions do not address your needs (if you clone the SD card, everything on it will be the same, including all changes you've made).

pPhil

Sat May 12, 2018 12:04 pm

You’re correct i didn't give enough info. I didn’t realize what a mess until I did some more digging

The systems all have noobs with raspian jessie and i need stretch on the new 3+.

From your reply i gather you aren’t aware of a way to do that. I think i have a solution and will work in that direction.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 12, 2018 12:21 pm

pPhil wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:04 pm
You’re correct i didn't give enough info. I didn’t realize what a mess until I did some more digging

The systems all have noobs with raspian jessie and i need stretch on the new 3+.

From your reply i gather you aren’t aware of a way to do that. I think i have a solution and will work in that direction.

You need to update NoobS to get it to be 3B+ compatible, then you need to update Raspbian Jessie, which apart from update / dist-upgrade you also need to update the kernel / firmware:

sudo rpi-update
When you have undertaken this on an older RPi it "should" boot up a 3B+.

Though you would be better of starting with a fresh install of the latest Raspbian Stretch with Desktop without NoobS crap !!
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

pPhil

Sat May 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Yeah I’m going to get rid of noobs on the new card. And i should be able to rsync the old stuff onto the new jessie and then update the distro. I have time to test it and replace the noobs card.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 12, 2018 1:33 pm

pPhil wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:45 pm
Yeah I’m going to get rid of noobs on the new card. And i should be able to rsync the old stuff onto the new jessie and then update the distro. I have time to test it and replace the noobs card.

Why you insist on using Raspbian Jessie ??

Raspbian Jessie will not boot on a RPi 3B+ with the last released image of a year ago..

Raspbian Stretch is now the only supported OS from RPF/RPT !!
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

pPhil

Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm

I am starting with jessie and will upgrade after the old card data is transferred.
Reason being the database mysql has been changed as well as i don’t know what. These databases are modified for new engine on upgrade.

Return to “Beginners”