7fh3498f
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 am

Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Sat May 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi guys

I have strange problem with my RPi 3B+ with latest Raspbian. I use official Raspberry 2,5A power supply. I boot my RPi from USB drive, Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8GB, USB 2.0.

Issue goes like that:

After init 6 command RPi is shutting down and then it is starting again. The problem is that it is not booting but flashing 4 times amber color LED and then stays solid, 4 flashes again etc. I have to unplug power supply and plug in it again to boot my RPi. That works every single time.

Tried with fresh Raspbian Lite, different USB drive, the same thing happens. Anybody have a clue what might be causing my issue? Thank you.

jbudd
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:23 am

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Sat May 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Interesting. I just tried it with my 3B+, Raspbian 18/04/2018 and it reboots fine.

Does sudo reboot behave the same?

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8274
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 pm

The problem is that it is not booting but flashing 4 times amber color LED and then stays solid, 4 flashes again etc.
Recognising that in this diverse world some people perceive colours differently, where on the board do you see the flashing amber led? Is it next to the red power led?

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4536
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Sun May 06, 2018 7:00 am

I had the same problem with the original Suptronics X850 SSD storage expansion board, but I own several other USB to SATA adapters that work perfectly (cold boot and reboot, with the same drive that did not work correctly on the X850).

Bottom line is, some USB drives (or drive adapters) are not compatible with the Pi boot loader. Some won't work at all, while others have the problem you have found (cold boot works, but reboots do not). Since the boot loader is hard coded into the Pi SoC, there's no fix other than using a different, compatible USB drive.

Your other option is to start the boot process from an SD card then load and run the OS from the USB drive. Try a FAT32 formatted SD card with only the bootcode.bin file on it (copy it from the Raspbian imaged USB drive boot partition or download it from here: bootcode.bin).

The bootcode.bin only method will not work reliably if you have more than one USB drive connected. If you have multiple USB drives, or bootcode.bin only does not work, then copy the entire contents of the USB drive boot partition to the SD card.

The above assumes your USB drive was created by writing the latest Raspbian image to it (preferably using Etcher).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

7fh3498f
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 am

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Sun May 06, 2018 10:26 am

B.Goode wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 pm
The problem is that it is not booting but flashing 4 times amber color LED and then stays solid, 4 flashes again etc.
Recognising that in this diverse world some people perceive colours differently, where on the board do you see the flashing amber led? Is it next to the red power led?
It is actually yellow. It looks amber when red one is solid...

7fh3498f
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 am

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Sun May 06, 2018 10:27 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:00 am
I had the same problem with the original Suptronics X850 SSD storage expansion board, but I own several other USB to SATA adapters that work perfectly (cold boot and reboot, with the same drive that did not work correctly on the X850).

Bottom line is, some USB drives (or drive adapters) are not compatible with the Pi boot loader. Some won't work at all, while others have the problem you have found (cold boot works, but reboots do not). Since the boot loader is hard coded into the Pi SoC, there's no fix other than using a different, compatible USB drive.

Your other option is to start the boot process from an SD card then load and run the OS from the USB drive. Try a FAT32 formatted SD card with only the bootcode.bin file on it (copy it from the Raspbian imaged USB drive boot partition or download it from here: bootcode.bin).

The bootcode.bin only method will not work reliably if you have more than one USB drive connected. If you have multiple USB drives, or bootcode.bin only does not work, then copy the entire contents of the USB drive boot partition to the SD card.

The above assumes your USB drive was created by writing the latest Raspbian image to it (preferably using Etcher).
Thanks for your reply. The thing is that it is not happening every single time. It happens once every 3-5 reboots...

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2658
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 pm

No Raspberry Pi that I am aware of has a yellow/amber light.

They have red and green.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15054
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Mon May 07, 2018 4:55 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 pm
No Raspberry Pi that I am aware of has a yellow/amber light.

They have red and green.
When in a case, sometimes the red light can bleed over to the green LED and make it look a bit amber.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2658
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Mon May 07, 2018 5:14 am

rpdom wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:55 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 pm
No Raspberry Pi that I am aware of has a yellow/amber light.

They have red and green.
When in a case, sometimes the red light can bleed over to the green LED and make it look a bit amber.
Possible, but it was stated that the light is yellow when the red light is off.

Is the device a Raspberry Pi, or some other brand device?
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4536
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 am

7fh3498f wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:27 am
Thanks for your reply. The thing is that it is not happening every single time. It happens once every 3-5 reboots...
Yup, I had some successful reboots as well with the X850. However, the very same SSD works perfectly with this adapter.
Image

And also with this external enclosure.
Image

And a few other SATA3-USB3 adapters I have as well (not a single boot/reboot failure).

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 pm
No Raspberry Pi that I am aware of has a yellow/amber light.

They have red and green.
Yup, red power LED and green activity LED. Although if you combine the light of a red and green LED it makes yellow, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:14 am
Possible, but it was stated that the light is yellow when the red light is off.
The red LED should never be off. :?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5054
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry boots only after power supply plugged out...

Mon May 07, 2018 9:42 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 pm
No Raspberry Pi that I am aware of has a yellow/amber light.
They have red and green.
There are also the ethernet connector LED's .... (but not on zero's & A's)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Return to “Beginners”