solo2500
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 am

MOTION on stretch... errors

Thu May 03, 2018 6:48 pm

Can anyone explain the following problems...

Code: Select all

 [email protected]:~ $ sudo  dpkg -i pi_stretch_motion_4.1.1-1_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package motion.
(Reading database ... 124822 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack pi_stretch_motion_4.1.1-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking motion (4.1.1-1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of motion:
 motion depends on libavdevice57 (>= 7:3.2.9); however:
  Package libavdevice57 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package motion (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 motion
 
Can someone point me in the right direction regarding the "dependency problems"!?
I am using a Rp3b with a the latest install of stretch.
I'm a total novice, non-programer (...basically a hack.)

User avatar
neilgl
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Near Aston Martin factory

Re: MOTION on stretch... errors

Sun May 06, 2018 9:10 am

From a fresh install of stretch (2018-04-18), enable the camera and reboot, then enter:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -y motion
That will get motion 4.0-1 and various dependencies including libavdevice57
Then you can install the later version of motion 4.1.1-1 using your dpkg command.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: MOTION on stretch... errors

Sun May 06, 2018 9:49 am

Try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f -y install
That should install the missing packages and finish of the configuration of motion for you.

sihui
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:04 am

Re: MOTION on stretch... errors

Sun May 06, 2018 6:33 pm

rpdom wrote: That should install the missing packages and finish of the configuration of motion for you.
Thanks, same problem as original poster, solved that problem for me, too :idea:

pertm84
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:59 am
Location: Norway

Re: MOTION on stretch... errors

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 am

I am using Motion 4.0.1 because that is what is available through apt-get. How long til they post the recent update there?
Just curious, because I get an error message when Motion starts:

Code: Select all

Mar 05 12:00:03 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Start Motion detection...
Mar 05 12:00:04 raspberrypi motion[6825]: Starting motion detection daemon: motion.
Mar 05 12:00:04 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started LSB: Start Motion detection.
Mar 05 12:00:04 raspberrypi motion[6831]: [0:motion] [NTC] [ALL] conf_load: Processing thread 0 - config file /etc/motion/motion.conf
Mar 05 12:00:04 raspberrypi motion[6831]: [0:motion] [ALR] [ALL] conf_cmdparse: Unknown config option "stream_preview_method"
Mar 05 12:00:04 raspberrypi motion[6831]: [0:motion] [NTC] [ALL] motion_startup: Motion 4.0 Started
Mar 05 12:00:04 raspberrypi motion[6831]: [0:motion] [NTC] [ALL] motion_startup: Logging to file (/var/log/motion/motion.log)
I've tried both to put # in front of stream_preview_method, and using both 0 (default) and 1 as a value. But I still keep getting this message.
Is it something critical?


Also, there seems to be two instances of motion running with different PIDs..

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14065
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: MOTION on stretch... errors

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:48 pm

pertm84 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 am
I am using Motion 4.0.1 because that is what is available through apt-get. How long til they post the recent update there?
There won't be any newer versions of Motion in Raspbian Stretch, other than any security patches that may be required.

A later version will be in Raspbian Buster, whenever that gets released. It looks like that will be version 4.1.1.
Signature is on holiday.

pertm84
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:59 am
Location: Norway

Re: MOTION on stretch... errors

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:45 pm

rpdom wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:48 pm
pertm84 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 am
I am using Motion 4.0.1 because that is what is available through apt-get. How long til they post the recent update there?
There won't be any newer versions of Motion in Raspbian Stretch, other than any security patches that may be required.

A later version will be in Raspbian Buster, whenever that gets released. It looks like that will be version 4.1.1.
Thanks for the update! ;)

Return to “Beginners”