2ball

Adding programs

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 am

So my project is to have a retirement countdown and a secondary money count up to be running every day on a monitor powered by a Pi in my office for the next 4 years. I picked up a PI Zero W and an old monitor and got some help writing a program in Python.

The Python program works perfect, but it is only 2 lines. There is a lot of extra real estate on the monitor.

I figured I would put a clock and weather program on the screen also.

I have seen a couple program that I like, but to install them is 10 or so commands in the command line. I have tried several times, but It is too complicated to install these.

Are there programs that I can install, but not use the command line?

pcmanbob

Re: Adding programs

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 am

HI.

You have not said which OS you are using but assuming raspbian,

if you have used the raspbian with desktop version the you can use the add/remove software option in the menu

but if you have used raspbian lite then the command line is the only option.

may be if you told use which instructions you were following ( post a link to the site ) and what problems you were having we might be able to help.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

2ball

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Yes, I am using regular Rasbian. I do see the add remove programs, but I can't find any programs that have the ability to be added like in windows with an executable file. is there a list somewhere?

The program I like is PI Kitchen

https://github.com/userexec/Pi-Kitchen- ... /README.md

It is literally 16 entries into the command line and configuring to get it to run.

It there an all in one package to get this or something similar. something with an installer that will do it all for me?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:13 pm

2ball wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:02 pm
Yes, I am using regular Rasbian. I do see the add remove programs, but I can't find any programs that have the ability to be added like in windows with an executable file. is there a list somewhere?

It is literally 16 entries into the command line and configuring to get it to run.

It there an all in one package to get this or something similar. something with an installer that will do it all for me?

The RPi exists for Education & Learning, it is not a plug and pray device:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/about/
Adieu

pcmanbob

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:15 pm

No this is not windows so you can't install programs like that

It looks like you can only install the program from the GitHub using the commands/instructions provided.

2ball

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:26 pm

So I installed AWeather with one command from the command line. It was essentially the equivalent of a windows installer exe file.
I had to download it from the command line. but it installed all at once.

AWeather does not do what I want it to do.

Somewhere there must be more programs with installers?

The operating system auto installs, so it must be a thing with the Pi.

So if I'm just not go8ng to be able to follow the directions on Github, I can probably find a web page that auto updates and keep the weather forecast up?

pcmanbob

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Yes if the program you want resides in one of the repositories then ye you can install it with a single line command

apt-get install "program name"

but as the program you want to install does not and is only available from the GitHub page you linked to then you cant install it that way.

Return to “Beginners”