JeanVt

WebRTC peer without a browser

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:55 am

Hi,

I have a small project with my Raspberry Pi 3 and WebRTC, I tried searching information, but I'm a bit lost. Could you please guide me to the most appropriate and up to date solution for my needs ?

What I want to do is a kind of intercom system:
- The PI has a USB webcam, speakers and a microphone (but no screen).
- From an external device, using a browser, I want to dispaly a web page hosted on the Pi, see the camera output, and communicate both ways with the microphone/speakers.

I learned about WebRTC, and followed simple tutorials to set up a signaling server and a web page, and I was able to quickly set up a video call between the Pi and my phone, using a browser on both sides.
Now, I would like to have the same thing but without a browser on the Pi side. I want to programmatically join the WebRTC "room", share audio/video, and play other side's audio on the speakers.

I found many messages on forums giving advice for similar situations. They mention UV4L, Janus, EasyRTC, OpenWebRTC, node-webrtc, and other products... But I'm having trouble understanding what each of them does and if they are really what I'm looking for. Also, I'm not sure if I can trust information dated from several years ago.

Could you please help me ?
Thanks.

JeanVt

Re: WebRTC peer without a browser

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:03 pm

I just tried UV4L, but it doesn't seem to recognize my webcam (although the webcam worked fine in my previous WebRTC tests from the browser).

Code: Select all

$ uv4l --driver uvc --device-id 0ac8:301b
<notice> [core] Trying to loading driver 'uvc' from built-in drivers...
<notice> [core] Loading driver 'uvc' from external plug-in's...
<error> [core] Video functionality not found
<alert> [core] No device detected
I also tried webrtc-streamer (https://github.com/mpromonet/webrtc-streamer/), which works fine for streaming my webcam, but it doesn't look like I can receive audio from the other side using this (correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT:
So I installed and ran mjpg-streamer, and used it as a source for a "virtual" camera in UV4L. Then, UV4L seems to do exactly what I want (I still need to do deeper tests, but that's enough for today).
I don't like that solution, but it looks okay for now. I'll try like this until I face some issue or someone suggests a better way.

RpiName

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 am

are you sure the webcam is uvc compliant?

in any case, uvc or not uvc, you can make uv4l the kernel driver directly, e.g.:

modprobe uvcvideo (or other video kernel module)

this will register e.g. /dev/video1.

then:

uv4l --external-driver --device-name=video1 --server-option '--port=9000'

JeanVt

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 pm

Yes, that works, thanks!
I didn't know about the --external-driver option. I should have read the docs, sorry.

Return to “Beginners”