K.Kong

What size SD card needed?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:05 am

My this account cannot edit the wiki. I would like to update the size of the SD card required.

I have just cleared my camera's 1GB card only to find that it is insufficient. This information is one of the first pieces of information users need to know. Now I have to burn $5 of irreplaceable gasoline to buy a $5 SD card.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: What size SD card needed?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:00 am

The minimum size you need is 2GB, but I would suggest getting 4 or above.

Not sure what this has to do with the price of gasoline though - simple google search would have found that information.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

hermanhermitage

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 am

I'd recommend a bare minimum of 4. Probably better with 8-16 depending on what you want to do. Linux is pretty heavy weight, with the stock raspbian image there is basically no room on a 2 GB card to add many tools, man pages or packages.

MattHawkinsUK

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:20 am

I would order a card from the internet and save the petrol :)

Checking the Downloads page and the Wiki it does appear than the minimum SD card size isn't mentioned. If anyone can update the Downloads page it might be worth mentioning. The size of downloads would be useful as well.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

redhawk

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 am

For a 1GB card you can install OpenELEC (XBMC) however anything else i.e. Raspbian would require at least 2GB to store a fully fledged Operating System.
If you're starting out then 4GB class 4 or class 6 should be sufficient for your needs if you need extra storage space there is always the USB flash drive option.

Richard S.

K.Kong

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:25 am

MattHawkinsUK wrote:I would order a card from the internet and save the petrol :)

Checking the Downloads page and the Wiki it does appear than the minimum SD card size isn't mentioned. If anyone can update the Downloads page it might be worth mentioning. The size of downloads would be useful as well.
At last, someone understands what I wrote.

The enthusiasm to get everything up and running tonight would mean having to visit a real shop.

abishur

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:49 pm

I have updated the downloads page and the FAQs to include the info for a minimum sized SD card (2GB, but with a recommendation of 4GB). Thanks for the spot!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

RudeViper

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 pm

What about the maximum size sd card that can be used in Version B? Can it use a 32gb or is the 16gb the biggest we can use?

itimpi

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:37 pm

A 32GB card definitely works as I have used one of those. Whether anything larger can be used I have no idea.

holmez

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:56 pm

If you have an external HDD, and are willing to put the time and effort into splitting the main partition onto it, and only the boot partition onto the SD card, it is possible to get away with a 64MB card.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm

holmez wrote:If you have an external HDD, and are willing to put the time and effort into splitting the main partition onto it, and only the boot partition onto the SD card, it is possible to get away with a 64MB card.
*blink*

If you put the root partition on an external HDD, you shouldn't need a 64GB card at all. Indeed, a 256MB card ought to suffice, since everything other than /boot would be on the HDD.

(I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has experimented with a 64GB or 128GB SD card, though.)

abishur

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:06 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
holmez wrote:If you have an external HDD, and are willing to put the time and effort into splitting the main partition onto it, and only the boot partition onto the SD card, it is possible to get away with a 64MB card.
*blink*

If you put the root partition on an external HDD, you shouldn't need a 64GB card at all. Indeed, a 256MB card ought to suffice, since everything other than /boot would be on the HDD.

(I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has experimented with a 64GB or 128GB SD card, though.)
He actually said 64 MB not 64 GB, that said, there's comes a point where "you coulds" become "no need to mentions" the extreme, vast majority of those who wants to know the minimum size of the SD card, aren't going to want to know that 64MB is enough provided you jump through these fine hoops ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jlau1269

Sun May 12, 2013 6:43 pm

RudeViper wrote:What about the maximum size sd card that can be used in Version B? Can it use a 32gb or is the 16gb the biggest we can use?
I have been able to run my Pi with a 64 GB class 10 with OpenELEC 3.0.2 loaded with no problem so far

vic10us

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:05 pm

If one did want to do this, would you have a simple step-by-step example or howto?

Actually what I would really like to achieve is for the boot process to transfer over to a network share (nfs) once the minimum os is loaded from the SD card. Anyone know if that is possible? I have a ton of 512MB low profile cards (MMC Mobile) cards and I would like to use them.

solar3000

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 pm

vic10us wrote:
If one did want to do this, would you have a simple step-by-step example or howto?

Actually what I would really like to achieve is for the boot process to transfer over to a network share (nfs) once the minimum os is loaded from the SD card. Anyone know if that is possible? I have a ton of 512MB low profile cards (MMC Mobile) cards and I would like to use them.
Oi I ebayed a bunch of those cards dirt cheap - which I gladly paid over $200USD for when they first came out.
Antikythera

rpdom

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:07 pm

vic10us wrote:

It is possible to run with an NFS root.

You should be able to find examples of how to do both USB and NFS root on the pi by googling with "site:raspberrypi.org" as part of your search string. Try also "NFS root" and "USB root" with that.

One thing, I used to use an old MMC card for booting my Pi (with NFS root), but it stopped working after an upgrade some time back. I can only get SD (not MMC) cards to work now. :(

rocketbhoom

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:10 am

Um, asking same question :shock: :shock: what size?
Amy: Dan, do you know what this is? It's the manifest of Rackham's ship!
Dan: Cool!
Dan: What's a manifest?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(The 39 Clues: Storm Warning) :D

n67

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:26 am

rocketbhoom wrote:
Well, somebody is probably going to start jumping up and down about us "necro-ing" an old post, but there are two basic answers to your question:

1) The card should be a "micro SD", which is about 15mm by 11mm by 1mm. The early Pis used the "Standard SD" card, which is 32mm by 24mm by 2.1mm.

2) In terms of capacity, it should, for all practical purposes, be at least 8 GB. (Note: There are ways that you could get by with a smaller card, but let's not worry about that here). 8GB is usually enough, but of course, bigger is always better (at least in theory). There may be issues with cards larger than 32GB (due to the existence of "exfat"). In any case, I just buy a supply of 8G cards and use them as needed.
Last edited by n67 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

PeterO

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am

rocketbhoom wrote:
All your questions are already answered here https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

rocketbhoom

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:06 am

n67 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:26 am
rocketbhoom wrote:
Well, somebody is probably going to start jumping up and down about us "necro-ing" an old post, but there are two basic answers to your question:

1) The card should be a "micro SD", which is about 15mm by 11mm by 1mm. The early Pis used the "Standard SD" card, which is 32mm by 24mm by 2.1mm.

2) In terms of capacity, it should, for all practical purposes, be at least 8 GB. (Note: There are ways that you could get by with a smaller card, but let's not worry about that here). 8GB is usually enough, but of course, bigger is always better (at least in theory). There may be issues with cards larger than 32GB (due to the existence of "exfat"). In any case, I just buy a supply of 8G cards and use them as needed.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

rocketbhoom

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:12 am

PeterO wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am
rocketbhoom wrote:
All your questions are already answered here https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/
PeterO
I'm just not sure because of https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... d-cards.md so, 8 or 4? But don't worry, I've alredy got this sorted out :D Thank you for your help

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:13 am

How hard was it for you to discover that you need 8GB or larger and anything over 32GB becomes a problem with NOOBS?

I'd guess your local Google is borken.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

HawaiianPi

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 am

If you are writing Raspbian images then you can use any card of 8GB or larger. The new SanDisk Ultra "A1" class cards are highly recommended because they offer significantly better performance. You can even get away with a 4GB card for the Lite version of Raspbian, however, the price difference between 4GB, 8GB and even 16GB cards is negligible now, so I don't buy anything smaller than 16GB. There is no need to pre-format or re-format cards before writing images. The image contains its own file system which will overwrite anything previously on the card. I recommend a tool called Etcher for writing images.

If you are installing NOOBS then you must reformat cards larger than 32GB with the FAT32 file system. The default for 64GB+ cards is exFAT, and the Pi can't boot from a card with the exFAT file system. I recommend a tool called GUI Format by Ridgecrop Consultants which can format anything up to 2TB with the FAT32 file system.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”