m0rd3caibg

Raspberrypi as small personal computer ?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:37 pm

Hello guys
I'm new to raspberrypi and I would like to ask you a few questions.. if this is the wrong section excuse me..
I want to buy raspberrypi and use it like a personal computer (for some projects). The question is can it be powered by ethernet cable and does it support SD cards more than 8gb ?
I would like to place the raspberrypi in my home and plug it to the modem so I can access the raspberrypi and then do some commands.
Also is it possible to modify Raspberian whenever the raspberrypi boots that it will execute some script like visiting a website or something like this.
Thanks..

jbudd

Re: Raspberrypi as small personal computer ?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 pm

The question is can it be powered by ethernet cable?
Yes. The latest Pi, the 3B+ will be able to be powered by Power Over Ethernet. But the official POE add-on isn't available yet.

Does it support SD cards more than 8gb ?
Yes. And if you want, you can dispense with an SD card and use USB memory stick, SSD disk or spinning hard disk instead.

I would like to place the raspberrypi in my home and plug it to the modem so I can access the raspberrypi and then do some commands.
The Pi can connect to a router by ethernet cable or Wifi
You probably need an HDMI monitor and USB mouse and keyboard. Or you can use another computer to access the Pi.

Also is it possible to modify Raspberian whenever the raspberrypi boots that it will execute some script like visiting a website or something like this.
Yes. You can make it run a script or start up a browser or many other things automatically.

n67

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:10 pm

The Pi can connect to a router by ethernet cable or Wifi
I'm sure you could plug it into a (cable/DSL/whatever) modem equally well.

Believe it or not, some people still do the Internet this way - they have exactly one connection to the net.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

thagrol

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:23 pm

m0rd3caibg wrote:
The question is can it be powered by ethernet cable[...] ?
Only if the device on the other end of the cable supports it. Regular ethernet doesn't provide power, you need PoE (Power over Ethernet) kit at both ends for that.

You don't need a 3B+ and the official HAT, suitable HATs already exist. Hit google.
Note to self: don't feed the trolls
If you believe "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people) have you considered that it may be of your own making?

PiGraham

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:48 pm

You can also use POE injector/splitter modules to get a 5V supply for the Pi without using a HAT.

klricks

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:15 pm

PiGraham wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:48 pm
You can also use POE injector/splitter modules to get a 5V supply for the Pi without using a HAT.
If you have a 3B+ then the PoE device must be one that supports Gb. A 10/100 PoE injector / Splitter won't work.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

HawaiianPi

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:27 pm

m0rd3caibg wrote:
The question is can it be powered by ethernet cable
It cannot be powered by an Ethernet cable directly. There are POE (Power Over Ethernet) systems that could work, but that's much more involved (not to mention much more expensive) than just using the official power supply.

m0rd3caibg wrote:
and does it support SD cards more than 8gb ?
Yes, I have tested my Pi computers with cards as large as 128GB, but they should be compatible with cards up to 2TB (which don't exist at this time).

Note that large SD cards can get very expensive, so if you need a lot of storage a USB flash drive or hard drive can be used as well. You can even get a cheap 128 or 256GB SSD for around the price of a comparably sized micro-SD card, and in my experience the SSD will be much faster (even with the limitations of the Pi's USB 2.0 interface).

m0rd3caibg wrote:
Thanks.
Yes, that can be done.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

k-pi

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Consider looking at a powered USB hub, RPi3B(+) plus HDD/SSD powered from it, keyboard & mouse, connected to your HDMI TV/Monitor. :D

m0rd3caibg

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks for the answers guys !
I also want to build a case with it for the Pi + SSD hard-drive, fan and battery, can you help me with this also ?

k-pi

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm using one of these cases with a RPi3B & an SSD, powered from a powered USB hub, don't know if it would interest you.

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... 6981301265

Return to “Beginners”